Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Android] Local files not playing

Solved!

[Android] Local files not playing

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Nokia 6.2

Operating System

Android 9, February Security Patch

I am able to sync local files to my Android phone (Nokia 6.2, Android 9, February security patch). The titles appear as white, and have the downloaded symbol next to them, as well as album art. However, when I click on them, they do not play. The controls appear at the bottom for a fraction of a second, then go away. The notification area controls stay, but do not do anything.

Shortly after, the app tends to crash. I have tried everything short of factory resetting the phone (I would rather not do this if it can be avoided):

This happens on all playlists. It was working before I installed the February security patch for Android.  There is no way to revert the system update.

My primary playlist mixes local files and regular music from Spotify.  If I play a regular song (also downloaded), it plays fine. If I use the Now Playing screen to skip to a local file, the background (which normally shows a color from the album art) appears as the color from the last album shown, even though the album art appears normally. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The problem went away when I installed the April Security Patch on my phone and redownloaded the playlist. Local files now play fine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hey there @techconspiracy

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We suggest you first change the source of the local files on your device. Simply create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now you can try importing the files again. 

These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. Give your device a quick restart as well before playing the playlist.

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Marked as solution

The problem went away when I installed the April Security Patch on my phone and redownloaded the playlist. Local files now play fine.

Suggested posts