Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Android Spotify Alarm Bug w/ workaround

Android Spotify Alarm Bug w/ workaround

I use Spotify as an alarm clock, and I use it with Spotify DJ.  A few days ago, the DJ X stopped working on my alarms.  I tried resetting my device, clearing all cache files from the clock and Spotify, clearing all stored files, logging in and out of Spotify, and all the recommended easy steps, like a clean install.

• After four days of the DJX not working for alarms, I found a workaround. 

-The DJ has been stuck on the same playlist set, and it starts with the band "Live" playing the song "Lightning Crashes". 

-It introduces the song, and then stops playing anything. 

-I removed the artist "Live" from my taste profile, blocking the artist from my app.  

-Now when the alarm is activated, Spotify DJX introduces the banned artist "Live" and the song "Lightning Crashes", and plays the banned song.  

-It works by being so broken that it breaks its own rules.

• -When I try to play the song manually, the app says. "This song is not available"

Plan

Premium

Country

Usa

Device

Motorola Edge+ 2021

Operating System

Android 12

6 Replies

Using a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra fully up to date.

Tested with both Samsung Native Clock app and Google Clock app.

It seems Spotify is having issues playing alarms with the "DJ" playlist selected.

If I select another playlist, it seems to do just fine according to my most recent test(now as my alarm is going off). However, if the alarms are set to "DJ" it plays the last cached song(in this case Last Resort by Papa Roach) and pauses after about 5-10 seconds. Recreating the alarms doesn't fix it. clearing local cache/data doesn't fix it and reinstalling Spotify doesn't fix it.

The issue can be replicated in both Google Clock and Android/Samsung native clock app. I installed Google Clock specifically to test with and the issue was present immediately.

App version is 8.9.80.581

Android Version: 14

Correction to phone model: S24 Ultra

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome. 

@Stooby, would you mind letting us know if perhaps you continue having issues while using the DJ feature with the alarm clock app? We understand you found a workaround, but we'd like to check if this persists.

@highestgnome, we understand you've already tried some troubleshooting on your device, but we'd like you to perform, if you haven't yet, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app on your phone. You can find out the steps to do it here.

Folks, please send us the following, as we'd like to continue investigating this behavior:

• A video recording of what's happening on your side. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google Drive and make them public, so we can visualize them.
  • The exact Spotify version you're running as per this moment on the affected device.
  • The make/model and OS of the affected device.
  • Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Aleja,

After purging all Spotify data/cache and uninstalling there is no com.spotify.music left over.

Restarted device.

Re-downloaded Spotify, configured an alarm and set a screen recording. Recording attached below via Google link.

The video doesn't capture the audio for whatever reason, but you will see a notification pop up stating the Alarm is going, you will then see the Spotify widget update to show the DJ going and then start playing the next song. As soon as the phone starts to vibrate with the alarm, Spotify is paused which is roughly 5 seconds into the song, according to where spotify paused.

Recording: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TMxVXmw9i2dS9uuv8

Just performed some additional troubleshooting. I know there used to be an app that would show what app was controlling music, couldn't find it. I use "Sound Assistant" so I can play music while recording videos, I have since enabled this and allowed Spotify the permission to play over other applications. Originally I thought the music was pausing, rather what its doing is continuing to play but with no audio. If I go into the Spotify app and pause the song that was started by the alarm then I get the alarm chimes from the google clock app.

Hey @highestgnome

Thanks for sending us these details. 

However, we're afraid we couldn't open the video you sent because of security reasons. Could you try it again? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

Also, make sure to send us all the info @AlejaR asked for previously. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts