Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Android app starts playing automatically when opened (8.8.96.364)

Android app starts playing automatically when opened (8.8.96.364)

My app as started automatically playing, and bringing up the now playing screen every single time I open the app. This is extremely annoying and frustrating in many cases. Sometimes I'll have the next song I want to listen to searched up and open the app to select it, but I have to wait for the now playing screen to come up. Other times I'm listening to a different type of entertainment and open Spotify to add a song to a playlist but instead the last thing I was listening to starts to play and then the now playing screen pulls up, usually this plays simultaneously to what I was already listening to.
This is especially frustrating because it takes the app about 5 seconds to respond and stop.
12 Replies

Hey @T2UCKH0SS,

Thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you check if clearing stored cache makes any difference? Try signing out and back in again once it's done, this action should resync the account info.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know if it happens on any specific occasions? For example, only when connected to Bluetooth headphones or when playing a certain playlist?

It would also be helpful to know what kind of device and version of the operating system you're currently using.

Let us know how it goes.

MariaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have this exact issue and did what Maria suggested, as well as uninstall, checking around the settings, and it still does it. Very frustrating! 

I've disabled every option I can find in Settings that seems relevant, I've read every relevant post, and nothing solves it. It just starts playing what I was listening to last every time I return to the Spotify app without my permission.

This just started happening for me yesterday (Feb. 18, 2024). Android app as well, Samsung A71, nothing in the settings to shut this off and no reason why this started happening.

Noticing it happening to me now (Feb 23, 2024), too. Android, Samsung F22. App just updated yesterday, version 8.9.16.593. Very frustrating!

Edit: I think I fixed by clearing the cache AND force stopping the app (like via the Force Stop button). I've relaunched it 10x or so and Spotify is no longer popping up the "now playing" screen and not automatically starting the track every time I open the app. Hope this helps others!

I have the same issue too. It's super annoying, because when it auto plays I guess it restarts your listening session, so I end up listening to the same 10 songs, instead of getting to listen to the rest of my playlist. 😞 

I tried every solution I could find, messed with every relevant setting, and reinstalled the app, only for the app to start playing automatically when I logged in. 

Yes!! It is very frustrating!!

Hey folks, 

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

Could you let us know if you're still experiencing this? If so, could you give the steps @dt40 shared to see if they work for you? Also, we suggest that you check if the OS of your device has any pending updates.

On another note, could you let us know if this only happens when you're using Bluetooth?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have an Android S22 and I'm having the exact same problem. My device has the latest update, and Spotify is version 8.9.26.592. I tried the steps suggested by @dt40, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, but it still does it. It does seem to only happen for me when Im connected to any bluetooth device, but that is basically all the time. Also sometimes when I've already got Spotify playing in the background and i open the app, it'll stop whatever im currently listening to and play something else from my library instead. Twice it's started playing episodes of podcasts I've never listened to! Very weird and frustrating.

Hey @mokydo,

Thanks for your reply here and for the info shared.

Great initial troubleshooting! In this case, it might be worth taking some steps to secure your account. You can follow the steps in this article to do it. If perhaps your account is linked to a third-party app (such as Facebook, Apple or Google), we'd suggest you change the account of said app as well.

On another note, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sending us more details about the Bluetooth devices you connect to your cellphone? Do you use headphones? Speakers? Both? Please send us more info.

Lastly, it'd be great if you sent us a short video recording of what's happening, so we can better visualize what you're mentioning. You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can watch it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey Maria! I will say that since initially replying to this thread, the issue now only occurs when connected to Bluetooth, instead of any time I open the app. 

Nothing detailed above has helped. I'm using Spotify on a Google Pixel 7a, with Android Version 14. 

Hey @Gemonts,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Glad to hear that it's somewhat not as prominent as it used to be, but nevertheless lets try to troubleshoot a bit further so that it's completely fixed.

As a next step to troubleshoot we would suggest performing a clean uninstall of the Spotify app, it's a more thorough removal of the app from your phone and it'll make it so that Spotify was never on your phone. Follow the steps in this article and see if this will prove useful. 

If not, could you get back to us and send us over a video recording of how things look on your end. You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can watch it.

Keep us posted.

MartinModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts