Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How can I disable casting to nearby devices?

How can I disable casting to nearby devices?

When I'm listening to Spotify (and even when I'm not), I get a notice in my phone's status that says "Casting to <device name>". There's a pause button and a mute button. The pause button (rather than play) makes it appear that I'm currently casting to this other device, and I definitely don't want to cast to someone else's device. I've looked everywhere in the app and can find nothing that would disable the automatic casting. If I click the pause button, it changes to a play button (making it seem that I've disabled it), but next time I open my notifications, the pause button is back! It's ridiculous that casting to another device without my permission would be the default behavior. If I can't disable it, I'll probably cancel my premium subscription...

6 Replies

I believe that the "casting" is from your phone, not Spotify. Just to clarify: does this happen even when not listening to Spotify? 

I also have Pandora on my phone and it doesn't automatically cast, but simply has a casting icon I could click if I wanted to... The Spotify notice makes it appear that it's already casting (though the mute icon makes it appear to be muted).

Hi. I don't have an answer to the issue but a similar problem. With the whole new chrome google cast stuff devices appear in my list on my phone and tablet that I do not want to be connected to. Everyone in my building is using the same Wi-Fi network. I would like to turn off the function in Spotify until Google has fixed their mess. Is that possible?

Exactly. I mean, I'm all for making it easy to share when you want to, but it shouldn't be the default. Nowadays, the density of connected devices in a commercial building is such that giving everyone the ability to cast to everything in range is a recipe for chaos, not to mention an assault on the right to privacy...

Lately I've been getting this message (see below). This seems to happpn when I am connected to any wifi. At work, the mall, at a friends, or at home. Its not often but it is frequent. It shouldnt just be autocasting but theres no disable button that I can see.
Screenshot_2017-04-29-22-11-54.png

hey buddy, 

Go to Settings > application manager > click on the 3 vertical points in the top right side on the screen and select "show system apps" > then go to Nearby Devices app > Notifications > turn off Previews in pop-ups, go to Nearby Service app > Notifications > turn off Previews in pop-ups. 

my phone is a Samsung Galaxy A5. bye.

Suggested posts