Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify app while driving automatically switches to other device(desktop PC).

Spotify app while driving automatically switches to other device(desktop PC).

Plan

Premium

Device

Samsung S20 FE 5G

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

While driving in my car listening to Spotify, connected to car stereo device through blutooth, at some random point it switches to wanting to play on my desktop pc at home. Even when I switch it back, play on this phone, a few minutes later it switches back automatically to wanting to play on the desktop pc. This makes no sense at all.

Why does it keep doing this automatically?
How about a prompt like "Are you sure you want to switch to your desktop PC device at home, miles away, while you are driving right now?" Yes / No / Never Ask me Again!

This has happened many times before and keeps happening.

This time, when I cam home, my computer is in sleep mode. I come home from the drive after not being able to listen and I pull my phone out, unlock phone and its the spotify app ready to go and boom, it wakes the PC up from sleep and the Spotify app on the phone wants to play through the PC, but it does not work because I have to Unlock Windows. What the heck is the android app trying to do? 
I have looked for instructions on how to remove "devices" on the android app, the instructions must be outdated, because their currently seems to be no way to remove any device from within the Android app, only ways to add another device or connect to a device. Why was the option to remove or "forget" devices from the Android app removed?

If I want to listen to Spotify on my Desktop PC, when I am using my Desktop PC, I never have an issue using it. Why would I use my phone to control what is playing on my desktop PC in an Automatic way without specifically selecting and choosing to do such an action?

4 Replies

yes same issue, it often switches unexpectedly between phone and car or phone and desktop without any warning. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome. 

@Listener423, we'd like to gather some additional info. Just to confirm, is this happening when you connect some other Bluetooth device to your mobile device? Does it happen even when you're listening to content without Bluetooth device?

On another note, it'd be awesome if you could share with us a video recording of what you're mentioning is happening on your computer. You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize them.

@gfpkdo, would you mind sending us the make/model and OS of the affected devices along with the Spotify version you are running there?

Folks, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Issue: Apple Carplay for spotify seems to disconnect at random intervals, defaulting to playing spotify on my desktop, even though I'm driving and far away. I have to pull over, open spotify, select "This IPhone" as audio output, resume playing, wait a few minutes for it to switch itself BACK to my desktop, pull over and repeat the process.

This issue started occurring within the last week or so for me, so I suspect it is a recent patch causing the problem. This issue makes Spotify in the car basically unusable for me, which is terrible, because I routinely listen to music in the car and have been using Spotify for this for years.

Hey there @chibitoku

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community. 

Could you send us the info @AlejaR asked for previously? Also, have you tried any troubleshooting steps so far? If so, make sure to include them in your next reply so we can avoid repeating any steps. 

If you haven't performed a clean reinstall of the app, we suggest that you do so by following the steps here

It's also worth checking if the OS of your devices has any pending updates. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts