Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Announcement-96B.png

Spotify

Exploring new ways for in-person listening

MateusM

Spotify is launching a shared volume control, a new feature for in-person listening with the Group session experience where guests will be able to control the volume if they’re sharing a compatible speaker.

MateusM_2-1689611043571.png

With this update, we want to give guests more ability to control the volume when listening. We also want to make sure that the host can choose what level of control the guests should have.

FAQ

Is the new Shared volume control available for Premium and Free users? 

Spoiler
No, the feature is available to Premium users only.

I'm a Premium user and I still can't see the option

Spoiler
The feature is gradually rolling out to Android and iOS globally. Make sure your device is running the latest version of the app.

What devices can I use for the new Shared volume control feature?

Spoiler
Users will be able to use this feature on Chromecast, Amazon Cast, and all wifi enabled speakers that use the Spotify Embedded SDK such as Sonos and Bose. It's currently not supported on AirPlay, Car, or Bluetooth devices.

Why do I have to enable volume control?

Spoiler
When a shared listening session grows to 4 or more, volume control is automatically disabled. The host can choose to enable it again. This is to make sure the host remains in control for larger sessions.

What happens if a fourth user joins and then leaves, does the remaining guest get control over the volume?

Spoiler
When a fourth user joins the session, volume control is automatically disabled until granted again by the host. The option will be deactivated only once per session, no matter the number of participants along the way. Only the host will be able to manually change it as they please.

What happens if I disable volume control and start a new session?

Spoiler
If you create a new session, the process is restarted, meaning that a fourth user joining the session will disable the shared volume control until the host enables it again.

1 Comment