Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads on Podcasts created and distributed by Spotify

Ads on Podcasts created and distributed by Spotify

Why does Spotify put ads on Podcasts created by Spotify and only released by Spotify on the Spotify app? This is absolutely unacceptable. You are putting ads all over the app for your own Podcasts, that alone is quite disturbing given you are creating an advantage for your own material. 

But that's not it - you are also PUTTING ADS on those podcast. I have been a premium user for over a decade and I pay for an ad free experience. Now you are both showing ads for your own podcasts in the app and also ads to other companies in the actual podcast, not one but two 30 second ads. Absolutely unacceptable!

Please see screenshots, reklam = commercial 

Screenshot_2024-04-18-10-58-16-08_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg
Screenshot_2024-04-18-10-57-53-64_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg
3 Replies

Because ads generate revenue and Spotify makes their money from premium subs and ads (yes, ads for premium subs for podcasts only too). 

Apple, Amazon, and YouTube, meanwhile, have $375 billion, $575 billion, and $300 billion in yearly revenue from their other services, and are charging the same sub fees and have ads.  

Not an unfair situation.

I beg to differ. Why produce podcasts at all if you're going to put multiple ads on each episode and also put banners all over the app and in the end call it an ad free and premium service? Not only is Spotify creating an unfair advantage for themselves but it also makes the "premium experience" less worth it. 

It's not about the money - I would not mind paying extra to get rid of the ads but Spotify doesn't provide that. I already pay three different podcast creators on Patreon to get an ad free experience.

Spotify is however charging me for a service which they claim should be free from ads which is not true. 

The solution is fairly simple for me - don't listen to podcasts created by Spotify. What to app doesn't allow me stay away from is the commercials in the app for podcasts created by Spotify. That's honestly very disturbing.

I also could not care less about what other multi billion companies are doing. Should I feel sorry for them for not making more money than they already are? Not going to happen.

You beg to differ. Alright. You're everywhere, man. You might read the terms if you're interested in the legal language regarding podcasts. The music is always ad-free on paid subscriptions, but not podcasts. It's a different revenue model. 

Also, your theory about Spotify placing ads for their own podcasts on their own platform creating an "unfair advantage" is baffling. You're on their platform. Would it make business sense for them to advertise Apple services? 

Also, your example in your first post is an ad you received while listening to a PODCAST not music. Stay away from the podcasts, per your own suggestion, and problem solved. 

Politely: Read the terms, either agree or disagree with them, and take whatever action suits you. Your noble crusade exists in your mind only. 

Suggested posts