Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Keep getting recommended the same songs

Keep getting recommended the same songs

Why does Spotify keep recommending me the exact same songs in my recommended tab. nearly every single song on the recommended tab has already been suggested to me many times before and i've only had this account for a week. Is there any way I can stop this as I moved to Spotify thinking that it had a good recommended algorithm. Thanks!
30 Replies

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

Keep in mind that the recommendations are based on your listening habits (what you like, share, save, skip). In this case, it's expected for the app to suggest similar songs to the ones you usually listen to. If you'd like to discover new music, you can also use the Radio feature or head to Search and choose a category where you'll find a lot of playlists made by Spotify, which you might like 🙂  

For personalized playlists such as Daily Mix and Discover Weekly, you can improve the suggestions by liking and disliking songs as mentioned in this article. By following these suggestions, the app will adjust your recommendations and you should start seeing new recommendations in the coming weeks.

You can check out the Picked just for You playlists if you're looking for new recommendations on Spotify as well. You can access them by typing picked for you in the Search bar and filtering out the results so that only Playlists would appear.

It's also a good idea to expand your music library by following more artists. That way you'll give the algorithm a boost. Keep in mind that it might take up to a couple of weeks for the changes to take effect. 

More helpful info about our playlists can be found in this article.       

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey, sorry this is the same person on a different account. For some reason that account was bugged and wouldnt let me respond. I cant seem to find the option to dislike songs on desktop and on mobile. Is this actually a feature?

Hey @Nuggy95,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

It's currently not possible to dislike songs on all playlist. By saying that I mean that there is no dislike button, however there is "Hide song" option on Made for You playlists, which comes in handy in those situations. 

To hide a song that you don't like follow the steps below:
Go to one of the playlist that are made for you (for example Daily Mix) , then select the song that you don't like and go to the three dot menu and tap on "hide song". Once you do that, the song will be hidden and won't be playable. Additionally, the song shouldn't reappear in the recommendations after this. 

On the Desktop app, hide song can be done by simply tapping on the minus sign.
Keep in mind that if you change your mind and you like to listen to this song again - you'd need to follow this steps. 

Lastly, we've recently introduced another similar feature that will allow you to exclude a playlist from your Taste Profile. If you'd like to know more about this - head to this support article.

On another note, it also seems like the Community folks have already submitted ideas about having Dislike button and not interested button in all playlists. If you'd like to see this option available, go ahead and check this and this ideas. Make sure you leave your vote to support them, so that they would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

LyubkaModerator

Hey Lyubka,

I have done all the steps you recommended above and it does not work for me. I clicked ''hide the song'' many times and it is the same song that I used to like, but now that it is the only song showing up in my recommendations I think I start to hate it slowly. 

I think my recommendations on spotify after searching a song are broken bc it is the same set of songs every time.

Hey @Vladiq,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We appreciate the info you've included. To continue investigating this issue, would you mind attaching a screenshot or a short video where we can see the recommendations you're mentioning? In the case of a video, you can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to watch it).

Also, include in your next response the make, model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hace mas de un año tengo el mismo problema. Escucho música mientras trabajo, de lunes a sábados 8 horas, son muchas horas de música. En Mix Diarios que me recomienda, siempre encuentro las mismas canciones en su mayoría, diría que mas de 90%. Si busco la Radio de una canción me pasa lo mismo. Por ejemplo, Every Breath You Take de Sting, aparece siempre. Ya odio esa canción! Lo mismo con Friday I'm In Love de The Cure. Y no es que mis gustos musicales sean escasos. Inclusive muchas veces recurro a YouTube para distintas sugerencias, hace poco conocí Teddy Swims gracias a esta app. Quiero eso, que Spotify me recomiende música nueva y no que repita siempre lo mismo como las emisoras de radio.

I have a playlist of around 500 songs, with a lot of different artists. I use this playlist to study everyday, and I use the new recommended songs to get fresh material. Right now on my Mac, I am getting the same songs, from just 3 artists, and when I refresh, it displays the same songs, just in a different order. On my phone, it is just one song the entire time. PLEASE HELP

cjkyte22_0-1709611506303.png

See above for what I am talking about

My post was merged here. This solution does not solve the issue. Please help with how to fix the recommended songs bug

Hi there @cjkyte22,

Thanks for the reply. We're looking into this issue on our end, but need some more info to investigate further. Can you please provide us with the device and app info as requested by @OscarDC?

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

When attempting to add recommended songs to a playlist in spotify, the same songs that are already in the playlist are being recommended (exact same album).

Further to this, after ~4 refreshes of the recommended songs function, the exact same lists loop again.

This is happening on both Spotify for Mac Desktop and Spotify for iOS

Hey there,

Welcome to the Community!

Does this happen with a specific playlist or with multiple ones and did you notice when it started happening for the first time?

I recommend logging out > logging back in twice in a row to re-sync your account and the devices you're using. 

Thanks and we'll be on the lookout 🙂

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

When I scroll to the bottom of a playlist I am presented with 6 recommended songs to add to my playlist, and when I refresh it shows 6 more songs. The problem is that further refreshes go back and forth between those two lists. I don't know if it's related but the options are not good, sometimes giving duplicate recommendations on an 8 song playlist.

When refreshing Recommended Songs, it’s only giving me the same handful of songs over and over, including the songs already added to the playlist.

Happening to me as well. Same exact songs autoplay after any playlist or album. 

I have the same problem, was it ever solved? Refreshing gives me the same 5-8 songs every time. I'm on Android.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out.

Does this happen across multiple devices/platforms? What about playlists of different sizes? Please test this and let us know the models, OS versions and Spotify versions of the devices it happens on so we can forward this to our tech team. 

It would also be very helpful if you can send a short video or a few screenshots of how the Recommended section looks on your end.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

MihailYModerator

I'm having the same problem. Looks suspiciously like Spotify is promoting these particular artists. 

Thanks for the reply!

To begin with, I only noticed this with new playlists, however I have now noticed that it happens to any playlist when I add songs to it.

I attempted the recommendation of logging out > logging back in twice in a row to re-sync the account and devices but unfortunately this has not worked.

I would use smart shuffle instead but frankly it is quite awful. If only we could have playlist radios back!

Suggested posts