Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Android Auto plays current song and then starts back at the beginning of the list

Solved!

Android Auto plays current song and then starts back at the beginning of the list

Plan: Premium

Device: Samsung Galasy S22

Operating System: Android v13

My Question or Issue

I play all my playlists via the sorted order as the shuffle play stinks.  When I get into my car lately it will play the current song set up on my last listened to playlist.  When that song is done it goes back to the very first song on my playlist instead of the next song in the list.  It is doing this EVERY TIME I connect.  It is a royal pain as I end up listening to the same songs over and over again or I have to pull off the road and open my phone to fix it as they Spotify via Android Auto has a horrible interface and will not allow me to easily select the song I want to play and continue in the list.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I see the app updated this morning and all seems to be working correctly now.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Hello, I have a similar issue when I connect my phone to my car. I am listening to a playlist but when I get out of the car and back in, connect my phone again, Spotify doesn’t resume playing from the same spot. I have to manually restart the playlist again each time. 

Hi, I am having the same problem. For the last few days, Spotify does not resume playing from the last song it played from my car. It played the song, then went back to the first song in the Playlist.

I have reinstalled the apps in my phone & as well as cleared the cache.

Current version is 8.7.90.544

I'm on Premium Plan.

Nothing seems to work. 

I'm having the same issue lately. It's EXTREMELY frustrating! 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread. This sounds a bit odd and we'll do our best to help you out here, but before we continue to troubleshooting steps, we'd like you to share some information with us.

@FayeFayeFaye , @SM78 , @Steven87  Could you please let us know if you're using Android Auto or Bluetooth to connect to your car speakers? 

@lbearm Did this start after a specific update? Could you try to log out > log back in (if possible) to see if that makes any difference for you?  In case it doesn't, it'd be great if you try clearing your cache to with the steps here to remove any old files that might be causing issues.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies,

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I first noticed this issue on Thursday last week.  My app shows it was updated 6 days ago and I would not have used in in the car last Wednesday so the timing seems right that it was related to that update.  I will log out and log back in and test again tomorrow and will let you know if that helps.

Same issue here. S20 FE, wireless Android Auto. I have the options to play similar songs and play from beginning after end of playlist turned off, so once the current song ends, I just see a "stop" button on the screen and nothing plays until I select a new playlist. Started happening sometime last week. 

Hello, I have exactly the same problem (Android Auto with my Samsung S22)...

Exact same issue for me, Galaxy S21.

Problems started about a week ago.

Me and a coworker also have this issue. I use a Galaxy S20+ and they use an iPhone (Not sure which). It's anytime I use Spotify when connected through bluetooth, not just my car, and they have the same exact issue. When playing directly on my phone or PC, I don't encounter the issue. I don't believe this is android only. We both also noticed when plaything through our cars that sometimes songs will randomly pause, though this is much less common.

@Lyubka I just tried logging out of the app and clearing the cache.  Neither helped.  As some others have mentioned sometimes it will play one song and then freeze.  As you can tell with so many stating they have recently encountered the problem the last update must have introduced a new defect.  This should be very easy for the developers to duplicate.  Take a play list on the phone and start playing it with the shuffle turned off.  Then pause the song.  Connect the phone to android auto and have it auto start playing the song.  It will either then freeze or go back to the first song in the list.  Neither is an acceptable behavior.

Marked as solution

I see the app updated this morning and all seems to be working correctly now.

Hey folks,

We suspect that what you're describing is related to this ongoing issue. Can you please make sure you have the latest version of the app and let us know if the issue persists?

Thanks!

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same issue since updating to version 8.7.90.544

My issue seems to have been resolved by the update. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for keeping us posted.

@thefultonhow, Awesome! We're really glad everything is working as it should.

@Closed365days, we'd suggest you check in the store of your device if there's any new version of the app available to install. If yes, update the app to check if you notice any difference.

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

This started happening again today. I am playing the new Fall out boy album on one echo device, and if I go to a different echo device and say "play spotify", it starts the album over instead of continuing from where the previous device was playing. Happening with my playlist as well.

Hey there @bdawg923,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

It looks like the issue you're describing is slightly different from the OP's. In this case, we suggest that you submit your post on the relevant board to avoid any mix-ups. Also, make sure to include as much info as you can. We'll take a closer look. 

Cheers 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts