Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Android][Other] DANGEROUS visual commercials while using navigation/gps/google maps

[Android][Other] DANGEROUS visual commercials while using navigation/gps/google maps

Hi,

I just wanted to say how dangerous it is to be forcing the user to watch an ad while they are driving/navigating. Not only are you not suppose to watch an type of video while you are driving, but to have an ad force the user to watch it while they are trying to follow directions is not only frustrating but ridiculously dangerous. I was trying to see when a turn was coming up and then all of a sudden google maps was replaced with a spotify ad. I had to force the app to close and reopen google maps... and by then I already missed my turn. Not only that, dealing with app management while driving at high speeds almost got me into an accident trying to make a split second decision... and all of this for an ad that's earning the company pennies. Some of these ads are 30 seconds and that's a good amount of distance/time to be without knowing if you missed your turn or not. To be honest, if this keeps happening or doesn't get fixed... i'll have to stream music from some other company as it is not worth an accident or frustration. 

Thanks,

Vic

3 Replies

I agree all the way with you.

But a simple solution is the premium account 😛

Not only will you have no more ads EVER, but seriously, the greatest music experience available anywhere on the planet. Period.

Worth every penny... and then some 😄

Hello.
As far as I know, those video ads are optional, you can press okay to watch a 30 seconds video ad and afterwards receive no ads for 30 minutes. Or you can just decline and you will get audio ads as usual, but don't need to watch the ad.

But more interesting: you're saying that Spotify came to the foreground although it was minimised and Google Maps running? Did that happen for you? That would sound like something worth investigating.

Yes, I am aware of that option as I do sometimes op in to watch the 30 sec ad. However, maybe after accepting it automatically plays 30 sec ads every 30 min? All I know is that I was fumbling around with my phone while trying to use google maps and it was almost a disaster. Thanks for you input!

All the best,

Vic 

Suggested posts