Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Android app stuck after playing on google cast

Android app stuck after playing on google cast

Plan

Premium

Country

Serbia

Device

(Xiaomi Mi Note 10)

Operating System

(Android 11)

My Question or Issue

Hi,

Starting from couple of days ago there is really irritating issue with Spotify App.

When listening playlist on Google Home Mini speaker via google cast sound is played on speaker while on my phone first song gets stuck at 0:00 and it is displayed like this forever. Only way to check which song is currently playing is to play music back to phone for few seconds and them play it back to speaker.

Other music apps like Soundcloud works without problem and I always see which song is played and current position of the song.
Please help how to solve this one 

17 Replies

Having the exact same issue since yesterday! Happening for me when I cast to all my different devices (chrome cast, Sonos) so the issue is with Spotify

I am having the exact same problem on my Google Pixel. It doesn’t matter if I am playing on my laptop, PS4 or Google Home. The bar on my phone gets stuck at 0:00 and the song never changes, even though it is still playing fine on my other device. Issue started on April 15th. I have tried resetting my google home, uninstalling Google Home and Spotify app, logging off from my account. I don't know what do to and it's driving mr crazy.

I'm also having this issue when casting. On my Android device, now playing shows the first song that I casted and stays at 0:00. I can only view the current song from the Queue. It works as intended on my iOS devices and Mac. This is a pretty major and annoying bug.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 7.48.24 PM.png
Screenshot_20210418-194807.png
Screenshot_20210418-194813.png

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, and welcome 🙂

We’re aware of an Ongoing Issue causing the behavior that you describe and the team in charge is currently looking into it.

In this case, we’d recommend adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue. You can also subscribe to it by clicking the three-dot menu next to the title and we’ll keep you updated with any relevant updates there.

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi! 
I'm also having this exact same problem since a few days ago.

The only thing I found is that the display of the first song gets stuck on 0:00 forever (if I restart the app, the display changes to the time the song is yet it still gets stuck) on my phone (an android) but not on my laptop. On my laptop it works as usual, it doesn't have this issue.
I hope we can all solve it soon.

Hey @AzuraNeon

Thanks for your reply. 

Keep in mind that the right folks are looking into the issue on Android, as it doesn't seem to be affecting computers. 

You can follow the suggestion in my previous reply in order to be on top of any relevant news we share about this. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey,
Initially even I encountered the same issue, but ever since the app updated, these are my observations:
1. After you open the app and start playing music and cast your music on a google home enabled speaker using google cast, it works perfectly.
2. If you close the app while the song is playing on your casted speaker and then reopen, the song progress bar is fine but the controls freeze completely. If you stop casting to the speaker and shift the audio output to your phone speaker and then again cast on your speaker, it starts working perfectly again.
3. If you directly start playing song on your google home enabled smart speaker and then open the app, then again the same problem occurs as explained in point no. 2.
4. This problem is not occurring on iOS

Hey @hshubhang,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

We'd suggest you restart all device to see if anything changes.

In case there are no changes, it's also a good idea to try with another network.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey,

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well as setting up my google home enabled speaker again, but the problem doesn't seem to be going away.

The issue was partly resolved after the update, but the following issues still remain:

1. When I directly start playing a track on the speaker and then open the app, the controls are frozen; and not just the controls but if I try to change the track the now playing screen doesn't update and still shows the previous track as the one playing. This issue does go away if I disconnect and reconnect the speaker, then everything starts working perfectly.

2. If I am in the app and start casting to my speaker, then everything works perfectly, but if I close the app while the song is still playing on the speaker and then open again, then the app does show me that the song is playing on my speaker but thats about it. The controls are frozen and the issue is the same as explained in point no. 1

Also another thing I observed is that this problem doesn't seem to be occurring with spotify connect.

I wanted to attach a screen recording of the entire event but the maximum limit for attaching a file is 5 MB

Hope this helps.

Hey @hshubhang

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Could you confirm if you experience the same when logging in to a different Spotify account on your device? This will help us check if the issue might be account-related. 

You can borrow the login details from a friend or relative, or simply create a free test account for this purpose. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next.

Hope this helps. We'll look out for your reply. 

Hey,

1. I created a new test account and tried the same process with it, but the issue still persists. I think there is a problem with Google Cast in Spotify on Android because I also tried the same procedure on iOS and a Mac and it worked perfectly on those platforms.

Hey @hshubhang

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

If you experience the same after logging in to a test account, let us know the exact app version of Spotify currently installed on your device. This will help us have a closer look. 

In the meantime, we also recommend clearing the cache on your device by following the steps listed here

Could you also let us know a bit more on what you mean when saying this doesn't happen if using the Connect feature? 

Keep us in the loop here. 

Hey,

The spotify app version is 8.6.26.901. I tried clearing the cache as well as completely reinstalling the app, still the problem won't go away.

By the connect feature I meant that if you try to play music on any other Spotify Connect enabled device, in my case I tried it with my smart tv, the app doesn't experience any of the problems I explained in the previous post i.e the now playing screen freezing. Everything works perfectly. Wheareas the problem only arises when I try to connect to a speaker to play music on it using Google Cast.

I've attached some screenshots of how it actually looks, I wanted to attach a screen recording but because of the size constraints I couldn't.

In the attachments you can see that the progress bar on the now playing screen has a different time stamp as compared to the media panel and the lyrics screen

Screenshot_20210519-083430_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20210519-083456_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20210519-083448_Spotify.jpg

Hey @hshubhang,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you try to unlink/ link your Spotify to your google account again?

It might also be worth a shot to clear the cache and reinstall Google Home. This can sometimes cause issues.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey Alex,

Yeah I already tried that, but unfortunately it didn't work. I've attached a screen recording so that you can get a better look at what the problem is.

Hi there @hshubhang,

Thank you for your reply.

We're aware of intermittent sync losses when using the cast function, with the app having difficulties reestablishing the sync afterwards.

It seems to be dependent on many factors. And say we'll be optimizing our API and netcode to try and make this better in the future, but so far we can't provide a direct solution.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts