Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Android app with large amount of downloaded content is slow and crashing

Android app with large amount of downloaded content is slow and crashing

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

USA

Device

Pixel 7 Pro

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I have observed that, the more media I have downloaded in Spotify for offline play, the slower the app gets at launch and search. As of today, at 58.25 gb stored, the app won't open. Similar to https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-app-crash-at-startup/m-p/4503685?search-action-id=3... it opens to a black screen for a few seconds, then crashes. 

I use Google Fi for our data so I pay for the data we use. I want to use offline mode to reduce our monthly bill, but using Spotify with a downloaded library is a terrible experience.

6 Replies

Hi there @mstublefield,

Thanks for reaching out.

The app can support a lot of content, but a very large library, including saved and created playlists as well as liked songs, and a large quantity of saved content can lead to various issues. Exactly how much the app can handle smoothly depends on the specific device and setup. Ultimately, the more content the app has to deal with, the more the performance will likely degrade. Having almost 60 GB of downloads is quite substantial, so we advise you try and downsize this however you can, that is sure to alleviate some of the issues.

Hope this clears things up.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just fix the app! It never ran high performance for me but it was fine, my phone is no flagship so what. But since latest update app doesnt even open! You telling deleting offline library is the solution seems like a big joke to me

People still have this issue after reinstall, so pls just fix this bug

My Spotify liked songs playlist has so many songs in it now that it will not start playing. I noted that over time as the playlist size increased I would have to wait longer and longer for playback to start which I could deal with, however now that I've hit around 3,500 songs I can't use this playlist at all except to scroll through and add things to the queue. I think that as a dedicated music app Spotify should allow me to like and enjoy as much music as I want and it's a shame to have spent hundreds of pounds on this app and such a time curating a large collection only for it to become inaccessible on my mobile device. I'd really like this issue to receive some attention and be rectified.

If I start Spotify and want to play music, it takes a very long time before the controls are shown. (I mostly listen to downloaded songs)
If I've paused the music and resume after a while it also takes a while before the music starts playing. While I'm waiting the duration bar is loading but my songs are downloaded so it should be able to play immediately.

Oneplus nord 3
9000 liked/downloaded songs

Here is a link to my google drive of a screenrecording
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWgmucqJfFBGpiAe6

I have the exact same problem! I have about 12k songs downloaded in my main Liked songs playlist on Pixel 8 Pro w/ Android 15 beta, and the app is completely unusable. It takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes to start playing in most cases (but using Google Assistant on Android Auto, and the AA app seems mostly fine).

I tried Spotify on an iPhone 15 Pro Max and songs loaded instantly. This feels like a horrible optimization problem for Android specifically. Please fix! And please let me know if any bug reports are needed.

Here's a recording of the issue, you can see it's unusable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3hOR2eaEBI

Suggested posts