Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

App performance issue on android

Solved!

App performance issue on android

Music keeps stopping mid song. Will only start if I go back into app and perform any action. ( Pause then play, restart song, etc). At times it won't even play one complete song

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 6

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

How do I fix the issue of music just stopping frequently? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

What is the reason for this problem, what should I pass on to support Google?  What other apps does this problem affect? I also noticed that restarting the app temporarily solves the problem, after which the music doesn't stop.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany 

Device

Google pixel 6 

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

The music stops playing at a random moment and is not restored, to restore playback you have to manually pause the track, then the time slider returns to the place where it stopped. Looks like a bug. I tried logging out of all devices, rebooting, clean installing the app, disabling battery optimization mode, nothing helped.

Hey @M_22,

Thanks for reaching out!

Does this only occur when the app is in the background? If so, I'd recommend checking if any battery optimization settings are enabled and affecting the Spotify app.
And, aside from this, you could also try removing your cached data to see if that would make a difference.
Keep in mind that removing your cached data will also remove the content you've downloaded for offline listening. It will re-download automatically, but do keep in mind that you may prefer to have an available Wi-Fi network for this in case your mobile data plan has limitations 🙂

Keep us posted on how things go! 

And, @Waylsay, as you've already gone over these steps, we'd like to ask you for the following additional details:

• When has the issue started to occur? Has it been after an Android / Spotify update?
  • Your current Spotify app version.

If this turns out to be an issue on our end, we'll need this info to alert the folks backstage. 
Much appreciated, we'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙌🏼

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

• When has the issue started to occur? Has it been after an Android / Spotify update?
  • Your current Spotify app version. 

At the time of the first installation I would already have Android 14 the first installed version of the application was 8.8.94.577 in which this problem appeared, the version has now been updated 8.8.96.364, and the problem persists 

Hey @Waylsay,

Thanks for the reply and for the info shared.

In this case, we'd like to check: is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet connection you're using?

On another note, does this happen if you open a different account on your mobile device? It'd be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the account of a relative or a friend to open it on your device and check.

Lastly, do you use any cache-clearing or task-killing apps? Take into account that these apps can affect the performance of the app. If yes, we'd recommend whitelisting Spotify on those to see if you notice any changes.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

This happens with both Wi-Fi and mobile Internet 3g/4g. I'm haven't any cache-clearing or task-killing apps. Another account try later 

I want to report the same issue with my Samsung A72. Running Android 13 - T.

Spotify installed version 8.8.96.364.

This happens with both Wi-Fi and mobile Internet 3g/4g.

I'm did cache-clearing and still happening. 

Hey folks,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation. 

To continue investigating this, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or a family member to test it.

It would also be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

Lastly, @Waylsay could you confirm if this also happens when listening directly from your phone instead of your JBL?

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

I checked my account on another device (honor 9 lite, Android 8), Everything works as it should on it, there are no problems with pauses, there are no problems on the PC application either. I noticed this problem when playing from the speaker on my Pixel 6, the problem is not with the headphones.

Appreciate your cooperation, @Waylsay!

Are you using an SD-card by any chance? If the issue is only happening on one device and you have an SD-card, corrupted cache stored on it can cause issues with Spotify's performance. 

If that's the case, please remove the card, give the app a clean reinstall once again and try without the SD-card to see if that'll make any difference. 

Keep us in the loop. 

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Pixel 6 does not support SD cards, I cleared the cache in the application, it did not help. 

Hi @Waylsay,

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

We understand this only happens when playing music via Bluetooth, right? Could you check if it also happens when you turn on the offline mode from the app's settings? Additionally, if you haven't tried it yet, try logging in with a different account from the Pixel mobile device and check if you can replicate the behavior. 

Let us know how that goes.

Susan_GPModerator

As I wrote above, the problem is reproduced both with and without headphones.In offline mod the problem persists also as in another account

The problem was also noticed when playing from the speaker on Pixel 6. In offline mode and in another account the problem persists. 

Thanks for the info @Waylsay!

A new version of Spotify was just released. Could you try updating the app to see if the issue persists? If you haven't already, it's also worth rebooting your device.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

The new version did not solve the problem, I tried rebooting to no avail.

Screenshot_20240116-094556.png
Screenshot_20240116-090605.png

Hey @Waylsay & @M_22,

We did some digging and it seems this issue has been present for at least two years now on multiple Pixel phones and it's been affecting a multitude of apps, not just Spotify. With this in mind - it'd be best to reach out to the support folks at Google to see what they would have to say about this issue.

And, @Wilquinta, since you're the only person with a different phone experiencing this issue, could you tell us if it still persists for you? If yes - could you let us know what exactly happens on the Samsung device? We'll gladly take a further look into this 🙂

Many thanks in advance!

VasilModerator
Marked as solution

What is the reason for this problem, what should I pass on to support Google?  What other apps does this problem affect? I also noticed that restarting the app temporarily solves the problem, after which the music doesn't stop.

After the update the problem disappeared and several updates it was not there. In update 8.9.16.593 it appeared again. I rolled back to the version 8.9.14.543, it doesn't have this problem.

Hi. Sorry for my late respond. 

I continue with the same issue: The music stops playing at a random moment and is not restored, to restore playback you have to manually pause the track, then the time slider returns to the place where it stopped. Looks like a bug. I tried logging out of all devices, rebooting, clean installing the app, disabling battery optimization mode, nothing helped.

Version of Spotify 8.9.18.512

Samsung A72. Running Android 13 - T.

Spotify installed version 8.8.96.364.

This happens with both Wi-Fi and mobile Internet 3g/4g.

I'm did cache-clearing and still happening. 

Suggested posts