Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Artist Page Shuffle omits old albums, plays Popular 10 too often

Artist Page Shuffle omits old albums, plays Popular 10 too often

I have a question. Does shuffle have a heavier bias toward more popular songs? Or am I just imagining it?

I often put Regina Spektor's page on "Shuffle All". It seems like the tracks I get most are the more 'mainstream' or the albums' flagship songs. I get a lot of "Eet", "Blue Lips", "Better", "Samson", as well as singles like "The Call", and "You've Got Time". I also get songs from the newest album, which I skip because I'm saving that album for the right time 😉

I rarely get any of the lesser-known tracks from the older, well, any of the albums. "Ballad of a Politician", "Field Below", "Folding Chair": these songs never come up. In fact, I feel like singles and guest features are played more than normal album tracks.

I can also say, with certainty, that not a single song from her earliest album on Spotify, Soviet Kitsch, has shown up on shuffle, with one exception: "Us", which regularly finds a place in the Top 10.

If it's true there's a bias, then it's too strong. "Artist Page" may as well be "Artist's most recent album". If there's no bias, what am I doing wrong? Yes, I have checked that I'm on the true Artist Page, and not just Regina Spektor's section of "My Music. (Those look confusingly similar on mobile).

Update: the above is my experience with the Mobile Version. I checked the full list on Desktop version, looking at the "Play Queue" tab, and it confirms my experience. Everything is from the latest three albums (not counting a guest apearance album) and singles. The earliest two albums (not counting a deluxe edition of an album already included) get absolutely zero representation.

Play Queue.PNG
0 Replies

Suggested posts