Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Assign volume buttons to spotify volume instead of media volume

Solved!

Assign volume buttons to spotify volume instead of media volume

Hey there,

Since I switched from an older model to the Galaxy S22, I've been missing a feature in Spotify that is important to me. When I listen to music, it's usually on a smart speaker with Spotify Connect integration. With my old phone, I could easily change the volume with my volume buttons on the side of the phone. This even worked when the phone was locked. Now I have to either use the expanded volume control (Image 1) to do this, or go extra into the Spotify app to change the volume. Changing the volume is no longer possible in the lock screen. I have to unlock first and can only change the volume as described again.

Is there any way that I can get this feature on my new device? I would like to change the volume for Spotify without the expanded volume control only with the buttons on the phone, preferably also in the lock screen.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @MKI75,

Thanks for the post.

I thought I'd jump in here to clarify why this is happening.

This is actually an issue with some Android 12 phones and it's called Android 12 casting volume issue. The issue is that on some modified versions of Android 12 ROM, the OS doesn’t allow you to control the volume of a cast session using your phone’s volume keys on any screen. For example, if you open up Spotify and start casting a song to your Speaker over Connect, pressing your phone’s volume keys won’t change the speaker volume — instead, it now just changes your phone’s media volume. You will have to open the Spotify app every time you want to adjust the volume. 

As far as I'm aware this is because of legal reasons. So there isn't much we can do about it from our end unfortunately. 

You can search online if other Samsung users have shared workarounds to this.

Hope you find this info helpful.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Here is the expanded volume control mentioned.
Spotify is on the middle slider and I can only control this by expanding the volume control, which is kind of annoying.

Screenshot_20220922-194936_Calculator.jpg

Hey @MKI75,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you share the Spotify version you're using on the phone?

Does the described experience occur with a different mobile device? I'm thinking this may be related to the permissions the app has on your phone. Could you have a look?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hey Dian,

I'm using the official version 8.7.68.568 from the PlayStore.
I've granted the app all of the permissions possible and I've excluded it from battery optimization.
Unfortunately I got rid off my old phone. Nevertheless it was a Samsung aswell with the same android version.
Maybe that was just a bug on my old phone? Or is this an intended feature?

Best Regards

Marked as solution

Hi there @MKI75,

Thanks for the post.

I thought I'd jump in here to clarify why this is happening.

This is actually an issue with some Android 12 phones and it's called Android 12 casting volume issue. The issue is that on some modified versions of Android 12 ROM, the OS doesn’t allow you to control the volume of a cast session using your phone’s volume keys on any screen. For example, if you open up Spotify and start casting a song to your Speaker over Connect, pressing your phone’s volume keys won’t change the speaker volume — instead, it now just changes your phone’s media volume. You will have to open the Spotify app every time you want to adjust the volume. 

As far as I'm aware this is because of legal reasons. So there isn't much we can do about it from our end unfortunately. 

You can search online if other Samsung users have shared workarounds to this.

Hope you find this info helpful.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That is very dissapointing. Just came back to Android from Apple - and it worked fine on iPhone. Is there really no way to get that feature back???

It's enough to make me consider switching music services, and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

Suggested posts