Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[CHROMECAST] not connecting 12.2022

[CHROMECAST] not connecting 12.2022

Plan

Family Premium

Country

Hungary

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20FE & A52

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

I have 2 Chromecasts in two bedrooms and a Chromecast with Google TV 4K in the living room. Streaming works with ANY other apps, except Spotify on both Chromecasts. Spotify app shows "connecting...", the Spotify logo appears on the TV, and the screen turns black immediately. The music is playing on the phone. I have to close "connection" in the Google Home app. Reinstall of Spotify app and Google Home app done without any effect.

Streaming to Chromecast with Google TV 4K works flawless.

Please help!

Thank you!

7 Replies

Hi there @macisajt

Thanks for your post.

We're aware of the intermittent connection and playback issues with Chromecast and we're continuously trying to optimize the netcode and API integrations to make this occur as little as possible.

We've also made sure to pass all the info you've shared to the relevant teams. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

What you can try is restarting your router in order to refresh the connections, which might also be causing the issue.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm also having this issue, but with iPhone and Chromecast Ultra and in Finland.

I haven't been able to listen to Spotify for 3 days now, since Chromecast app always ends up stuck with black screen after the Spotify logo.

Other Chromecast apps (like Tidal & Netflix) work as usual, but Spotify gets stuck with 'Connecting...'

Chromecasting has been broken on Spotify for years now (over multiple different Android phones). To this day it's a complete roll of the dice if Spotify will actually connect or just get stuck on "Connecting..." before giving up.

I've never had a single issue with any other non-Google apps connecting to Chromecast over the years. Why can't Spotify figure this out?

Please take a look on attached video (sorry about quality, I'm not a pro video artist).

Spotify connection refused instantly

The connection method is Google Cast which I prefer for certain reasons, but I can replicate the issue even on Spotify Connect.

The connection is refused after just 1 second of play! (Or even doesn't begin to play at all.)

The TV set is Philips PUS8536 (Android 11), but hardly think it would be a TV firmware issue as it can be replicated equally well on the original Google Chromecast with Google TV 2021.  Tried to connect from Sony Xperia smartphones, different models.

I don't exclude at all network problems here as the network infrastructure is a bit complicated but as long the Youtube Music ALWAYS can connect with absolutely no issues, the network cannot be that bad (Wired on TV, wireless on Smartphone). 

Latest versions, cache cleared, same subnet, Premium plan etc. 

As I understand Spotify and Chromecast were not the best friends from beginning but it would be the high time to solve the issues! Otherwise I'd be forced to give up and migrate on YT Music where unfortunately the connection options and flexibility are greatly inferior but at least the connection is stable and without fails.

May I have at least some useful tools to get closer to understand what happens here? Maybe a logged (debug) Spotify version or something like that.

UPDATE:

Finally I'g got an idea what exactly could fire this behaviour. So, as far as I can see, the problem appears specifically when last time Spotify has been casted from another device (smartphone). In these cases the problem might appear at least much more frequent.

Thanks, but you still haven't answered the 2 most important questions regarding this issue:

1. Are you really aware of this problem (bug?), you can replicate it and are you already working on specific solutions right now (there are almost 6 months since @macisajt wrote this post)?

2. Do you know workarounds right now, e.g. better network connection? Or this issue has nothing to do with network connection (obviously if it's already decent) therefore there is no user-accessible tricks to reduce the connection misses?

Your answer would be very important, I'd really hate the idea to migrate on YT Music just because this issue.

Spotify app shows the TV as an option with connection options of Spotify cast and Google cast. Spotify app won't change the selection and will not connect.

Hey folks,

Apologies for the lack of updates on our end.

For anyone still experiencing this, please share the following info, so we can relay it to our tech team:

• The device model, OS version and Spotify version of the affected devices.
  • A few screenshots or a short video of the issue.
  • Any troubleshooting steps you've tried.

Thanks!

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts