Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Force Stop not working on Pixel 6xl with Android 13

Solved!

Force Stop not working on Pixel 6xl with Android 13

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 6XL 

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue
Force stop is no longer working for my Spotify app. It works for every other app that it is meant to work for but Spotify just won't turn off.  Background data usage & notifications are disabled.  I tried clearing my cache, restarting my phone and making sure that everything is up to date (the phone and all apps are currently).  I even tried a completely clean reinstall but I still cannot force stop the app. 
Can someone take a look into why this could be happening?  

Here is how it goes:   Open the phone -> Navigate to the Settings menu ->  open the Apps menu -> choose Spotify ->  Click Force Stop -> Confirm by clicking OK on the confirmation window ->   Nothing happens.
Spotify continues to run in the background - Both my PC & tablet show Spotify playing on the phone and ask if I want to switch to that device if I want to listen.

24 Replies

Addendum: whatever this bug is, it seems related to Android and System WebView, because I just now, saw that Google drive also automatically starts when Spotify starts, so I think it's a bug in Android that triggers the apps that use a certain function to auto start. I wonder if Spotify is even able to fix this if it's an Android System WebView issue.

Same issue here. Cannot force stop Spotify. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I have tried the Bluetooth thing. No luck. Didn't use to be like this. Maybe I could go back to an earlier version of the app? 

Hi everyone,

We've reached out to our tech folks so they can take a closer look at this. As always, we'll keep you posted here as soon as we have any new info to share.

Could you guys confirm if the Force Stop button stops any playback from the app, or if it continues playing? On my end the Force Stop button remains clickable, but the playback stops as it should.

Also, check if your mobile device shows up in the Connect picker on your PC after pressing Force Stop. Mine doesn't.

I tried troubleshooting it and found that sometimes after changing the system language I'm able to fully force stop the app, so feel free to try that on your end.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Hi there folks,

We've been informed that this should be resolved in an upcoming update to the app. Make sure you're using the latest version and if any of you still face similar issues, please let us know so we can investigate further.

Cheers!

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've found a workaround for spotify to force stop, here's how to do it :

First go to Settings > Apps > Spotify > Permissions > Disable "Nearby devices" 

Now you can force stop spotify.

Like this answer if it works, Thank You!

Suggested posts