Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Goodbye Spotify. Hello Google All Access

Goodbye Spotify. Hello Google All Access

Stuck with Spotify for a year hoping they would get this app in a consistently working state. Giving up. Moving to Google All Access (and saving $2 a month). 

Ciao Spotify. 

2 Replies

Yes yes yes, I thought I was going to do the same thing and I even spent countless hours setting up playlists, thinking the app was going to revolutionize the streaming music industry (I bought into the hype, being the huge Google fan that I am).  Turned out to be a complete waste of my time. 

The things I really wanted in a streaming music app, besides unlimited on-demand music, I couldn't get with Google.

No folders for playlists.

No external SD card storage.  Still can't believe this one.

No massive database of user-generated playlists.  Think I found 2 playlists, total, created by others. That might change in time but I don't want to wait a year or more.

No apps. Couldn't use Tunigo or Soundrop or last.fm or Digster or any of the others I like.

I won't even go into detail about the constant crashing and fact that I couldn't even play songs because the app was hanging constantly before each crash.

If it works for you and you're willing to give up features you might use here, I hope it is what you're looking for.  But Google's half-baked release is what made me realize I already have what I want here.

That's fair. All Access isn't the be all and end all solution to streaming music.

My main problem with Spotify is that it would skip mid-track very frequently, and it occurred just as often when playing off the device as when streaming, so it's not just a network issue. Being able to play songs correctly is pretty much requirement #1, so the other features don't matter much in comparison. No skips on All Access yet. 

I haven't had any app crashes with Google Music/All Access yet, though that would obviously be a deal breaker for me too if they were frequent. That said, the app is a bit unresponsive. 

I have an unlimited data plan and good 4G access, so SD storage doesn't matter to me. You're right though - that's a big missing feature for a lot of people. 

Again, you're right that there's not a lot of apps or playlists yet. I didn't use those features (much), and both of those problems will get better with time. 

And a HUGE benefit for me is the seamless integration with Google Music. I used to work at a college radio station and found a good chunk of music while working there that is not available on Spotify (or All Access), but I've uploaded the CDs to Google Music. Now I can get all the music I want from one app. 

Plus it doesn't hurt that it's cheaper if you sign up by the end of the month. 

Suggested posts