Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Google assistant plays alternative versions of songs such as remixes

Google assistant plays alternative versions of songs such as remixes

When I try and play songs on Android using Google Assistant i get non studio versions. For example, if I ask for Diamonds by Rhianna I instead get a incredibly explicit song with Kayne West rapping for about a minute (it's a remix) instead of the expected studio version. The only solution I've found is to "hide" the songs that keep coming up instead of what I want.
Top Answer
Yordan

Hey everyone,

We're unable to provide an ETA for a fix at the moment, but rest assured our teams are actively working on improving this behavior. We’re always looking for opportunities to enhance the user experience for everyone and your feedback on this is greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing it here.

The Community is just a post away if there's anything else we can assist with in the meantime.

Take care 💚

51 Replies

Hey @voidhawker,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you please provide links to a few more examples, so we can investigate this further? Also, does this happen always when you request a particular song?

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yup it happens every time for this song. I have not found a work around.

To demonstrate it all I need to do is say 

"Hey Google, play diamonds by Rhianna on Spotify" 

Hey @voidhawker,

Thanks for confirming.

Can you please also send us links to some of the other tracks where you see this behavior?

Cheers,

MihailYModerator

I can't believe you moderators are asking for examples of this behaviour! Hundreds of people have been asking for years to just be able to play the standard album version of songs when interacting with Google Home or Google assistant. It is so frustrating to keep getting live or alternate versions of songs. I assume that's because you don't have to pay as many royalties, but it just means we have to go locate the phone, pick it up, turn it on, open Spotify, hit search, find the actual album song and then play it. Frustrating.

Hey @goog64,

Thanks for your comment.

I fully understand your frustration and I apologize for not providing context for my previous requests for links. 

Note that this issue was investigated a few years back by our tech team (the thread has been archived so I can't link it here) and after some joint effort by Spotify and Google a fix was rolled out.

Seeing your comments, I understand that the behavior has resurfaced, but with just one example it would be difficult to start a new investigation, so if any particular tracks come to mind, please share them here so we can compile a new report for our tech team. The more examples we have, the easier it would be to get the ball rolling on this new investigation.

Thanks!

MihailYModerator

For some other examples, "play "Ghost" by Hoshimachi Suisei" will play the instrumental version and asking for "Magia Quattro" by Kalafina will play regular Magia

Latest Automatic for the People Pumped up Kicks, Red Hot Chili Peppers Give it Away

"Rusholme Ruffians" by the Smiths.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my slow response. I estimate that for almost a quarter of the songs I request, some version other than the standard album version (that I'm hoping to hear) gets played. Some examples:

Lighthouse - The Waifs

New Orleans is Sinking - Tragically Hip 

It's Too Late - Carol King

Big Indian - The Dandy Warhols

And it's almost impossible to get the speaker to play Bourée by Jethro Tull (we have tried every pronunciation of "Bourée" that we can think of.

Another example of Google Assistant playing the live version: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by Joan Baez

Happens to me as well. 

Example: Sonique - it feels so good.

Always have to add 'radio edit' when asking Google Assistant or I get a remix

How is this still happening years later?

Exactly. It's so frustrating.

Just asked for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and got the muppets version, are you kidding me?

Dog Days by Florence and the Machine got a remix.

Praying by Kesha got some remix.

Space ghost coast to coast by glass animals also got a remix.

These are huge hit songs with a billion listens on the regular version, there should be no confusion as to what I want. The worst part is even specifying artist or saying original version doesn't seem to work.

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info you've sent!

It'd be great if you can provide the Spotify links to both the song version you want played and the one that Google Assistant plays + a screen recording of what happens when you ask for a song to be played. If the file is too large to attach, you can upload it to Google Drive (make sure to allow general access to the file) or as an unlisted YouTube video. Once we gather all this additional info, we'll be able to have this reported.

Keep us posted.

DessiModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Sounds like you are making this complicated because you don't REALLY want to fix it maybe?

How about this for an idea:

When someone requests a song via Google Assistant, DON'T play a live version unless someone says "live" in their request?

I am having this same problem with "I Can Do It With A Broken Heart" by Taylor Swift. I would be fine with it playing either the filtered version (https://open.spotify.com/track/29ZAW0BAp6O4C6fUncCjBk) or the explicit version (https://open.spotify.com/track/4q5YezDOIPcoLr8R81x9qy) but every time, it plays the instrumental version instead (https://open.spotify.com/track/0Z8YQJNXTCZqflWehjoJqJ). I cannot figure out a workaround for this. 

Thanks for the details everyone! We'll investigate further 👍

As soon as we have any updates rest assured we'll keep you posted here, so stay tuned!

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This is rife again for me.  Asked for two songs this morning and straight up both were alternative versions.  Great Southern land by icehouse played a live version, everybody wants to rule the world by years for fears plays an alternate 

Suggested posts