Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Google assistant plays alternative versions of songs such as remixes

Google assistant plays alternative versions of songs such as remixes

When I try and play songs on Android using Google Assistant i get non studio versions. For example, if I ask for Diamonds by Rhianna I instead get a incredibly explicit song with Kayne West rapping for about a minute (it's a remix) instead of the expected studio version. The only solution I've found is to "hide" the songs that keep coming up instead of what I want.
51 Replies

I said, "Hey Google, play Uptown Funk." I got this: https://open.spotify.com/track/5U84vBvWfmZZuT2uqupmmB?si=i7SfFB4LQnq-nAZp0DNdYA

Absolutely absurd.

Hey everyone,

We're unable to provide an ETA for a fix at the moment, but rest assured our teams are actively working on improving this behavior. We’re always looking for opportunities to enhance the user experience for everyone and your feedback on this is greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing it here.

The Community is just a post away if there's anything else we can assist with in the meantime.

Take care 💚

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Quite often when I use voice controls (whilst driving using Android Auto) to request a specific song, Spotify will select a live or alternate version. It doesn't matter what you say (for example "play the original version of xxxx") it'll still just play the version it wants you to hear.

Weirdly, there also seems to be an issue where certain fake versions of songs are being played. When I ask for Chandelier by Sia it plays a fake version with someone tunelessly screeching along to a quiet version of the original. It seems almost impossible to listen to the correct version.

Has anyone else come across this and found a solution please?

Happens to me regularly across multiple platforms. Frustratingly I have no
solution.

Dane Pearce
**bleep**

"Play Rap God by Eminem on Spotify" got me a remix.
"Play Shallows by Lady Gaga" got me an acoustic cover.
"Play Childish Gambino" got me "Waiting For My Moment by Donald Glover", instead of literally anything by Childish Gambino.

Any update on this issue? This started for us over a month ago, and is now occurring on every Google device we have (hub max, home, 2 minis) every time we ask for a song.

Every. Single. Song.

This is garbage I pay for a service that can't play a simple requested song if this is not resolved in the next 7day I'm cancelling my subscription I use googe home all the time and this has only started happening for me fix your S@#$.

"Play Miley Cyrus Mother's Daughter" and it plays a shitty remix, how the F^$# am I going to sing that in the shower...

Please please STOP PLAYING LIVE VERSIONS OF SONGS when I ask for a song via my Google Home Speaker. It's happening more than half the time now.

Or at least please GIVE US BACK THE DISLIKE BUTTON so we can stop them from playing in future.

Thanks for looking into it mate :))

Here's a little list of songs I've noticed

Living next door to Alice - smoke

Miss Jackson - Outkast

Cowgirl in the sand - Neil Young

Echoes - Pink Floyd

Have a cigar - Pink Floyd

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd

Take me to church - Hozier

Ex-Factor - Ms. Lauryn Hill

Born to run - Bruce Springsteen

Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen

Stand by me - Ben E. King

Paranoid - Black Sabbath 

Drops of Jupiter - Train

So fresh, so clean - Outkast (plays radio mix)

Hey Ya! - Outkast (plays slow version)

Muffin man - Frank Zappa (It should play the Bongo Fury Version)

So this is a huge problem for me as well. I will say this, I recently switched back to Android from Apple, and Siri never had this issue. So what the heck Google? I've gotta result to breaking the law while I'm driving and using my cell phone. And I was also confused by the need for examples bc it seems like every song me or my kids try is an alternate version. 

Play When I come around by Greenday, plays the acoustic version 

Play welcome to paradise by Greenday, plays the live version 

Play When love takes over by David Guetta, plays the Electro Radio Edit 

1000021516.jpg

Same issue. I tried typing the voice search into Google then clicking on the Spotify link that came up. Started the live version! 

Google search text: Holiday by Green day

Result: Holiday - live at Dublin

Gangman style - plays an instrumental version 

Like a g6 - plays a remix

This is doing my head in, and after having a subscription for 8 or 9 year, I think I am about to cancel my subscription. Pretty much any song I request through Google voice throws a totally different version at me.

I pay £20pm for Spotify. I have been having this issue. When I use voice command on android auto or google assistant and ask for a particular song, I get a live version or an acoustic version etc. Very rarely do I get the version I want. Adding "album version" or "radio version" to the command does nothing.

Recently I asked for Gangsta's Paradise and got this https://open.spotify.com/album/3f34It9rmSjSTbivSANySQ?si=_6nErKNzQwGY5mwi28N5bQ

If this issue isn't resolved shortly I will start looking at alternative music services and probably switch.

I'm not the OP, but I can contribute since this just happened to me two times in 15 minutes. 

1. Asked assistant to play "Con te Partiro" to which he replied "playing con te Partiro by Andrea Bocelli" which was what I wanted. In the end, it played a cover by another artist

2. Exact thing happened with "Take On Me" by a-ha

Requested Me and Mrs Jones. Plays instrumental. Repeatedly. Several other songs do this too. Is this a Spotify issue? Or assistant? Incredibly frustrating, how is the original not the first result?

I'm about to cancel my subscription and go back to an alternative. Almost every single song I ask for I get some terrible remix, an instrumental version, a live version or a remake. 

Just this morning I couldn't play Kung Fu Fighting bu Carl Douglas or Peaches by Jack Black. It has become a source of laughable frustration during our drives when I can't request a specific song. I pay monthly for a service, and feel like Spotify is intentionally playing alternatives to save money. It has gotten significantly worse the past few months. It works well through my Alexa devices but not using Google through my phone. 

Make it optional to allow non original songs, or require additional clarification to request remakes, live, or instrumental versions. Should be an easy fix to not default to some obscure (normally bad) remakes of songs. 

If you ask Google assistant to play “We Are The Dinosaurs by Laurie Berkner Band” it will play a terrible remixed version. 

if you ask Google Assistant to play “We Didn’t Start the Fire by Billy Joel” it will play a live version not the studio version.

VERY frustrating.

"Hey Google, play Lighthouse by The Waifs" - plays the live version EVERY time. I don't want to hear ANY live versions of anything. Where is the slider to toggle live versions off??!!

I have the same problem.

'Barbie girl' in the Spotify app goes to the normal version.

'Barbie girl' in Google Assistant on a Sonos speaker goes to some dirty rotten remix.

Suggested posts