Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How much data use is typical when streaming?

Solved!

How much data use is typical when streaming?

I had been streaming a few albums a day for 4 days, and Spotify had used over 9 GB of data over 4G.  Is this typical?  This amount of data is enough to download the entire uncompressed CDs!

Screenshot_2013-12-06-09-51-41.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

7 Replies

If you stream at Extreme quality, 2.4 MB per minute. In High quality 1.2 MB per minute.

I'm just using the normal quality setting, so I estimate that the app is using at least 10 times more data than it ought to for the amount of listening that I'm doing. Do you have any thoughts on what could cause that? All I've done is search for music and stream it.
Marked as solution

I think that may be a bug, The post above reported this as a bug. Just try and restrict your data use on 4G (if you are capped) until a fix is released

Thanks for your input. I'd noticed that thread, and though I didn't read every entry, it seemed like most people were talking about problems with offline listening, and the amount of data being used didn't sound too bad compared to what I was experiencing (dozens or hundreds of megabytes), so I thought I might have hit a different problem.

Oddly enough, the problem seems to have gone away (at least for now). Yesterday I was streaming a few albums again, and Spotify only used 110 MB, which is very reasonable to me. I couldn't tell you what might have changed over the weekend.

Does anyone have any further updates on this please? Vodafone are trying to charge me extra $$s for using 13GB for about 3-4 hours streaming.... 😮 

The link provided just returns this: You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

I suggest you use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

Suggested posts