Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Local File Sync

Solved!

Local File Sync

I'm unable to sync local files with my mobile android phone. I'm running on Windows Vista, using an LG G3 phone. I have the local files loaded into a "sync" playlist, and have set them to download on my phone, but the phone and computer won't communicate. It just says "Waiting to Download" infinitely. I have tried reinstalling both my phone and computer spotify clients, I have no firewalls etc, and they are both connected to my home internet. (One through an ethernet cable, the other through the wifi running off our internet.) I cannot find a way to forcibly sync my phone either. Does anyone have any idea what I can do in order to get this working? I'd like to be able to listen to some of my more underground music as well as mixtapes that aren't considered official releases. All the files are MP3 Format, and show up/work on the desktop client, they just don't want to communicate to the phone.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Got an update for you. This is a bit of a roundabout way but by tethering the computer to the phone's cellular network through a USB cable, rather than connecting over wifi. Just using the USB wasn't the solution but when I reversed the connection to have the computer connect to the phone it synced. Temporary solution, but if it helps other people I figure I might as well tell you about it.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

I too have this issue, started recently when I reached the max number of synced devices. Then I cleared them and, reinstalled spotify on my PC and my phone. Now my local files refuse to sync over to my android which is to say the least, infuriating. I've shut off the firewall, restarted the software. Some playslists refuse to become properly "Available offline" for some reason which leads to them not being able to sync over to my phone.

Any ideas guys?

Nevermind, finally found the issue. It seems I have to be on the same wifi/network to be able to do it. (Which is not mentioned anywhere, since I've enable download over cellular).

Maybe it works for OP to. Try it?

Fyi you do have a firewall as windows had one built in. In control panel open the firewall settings and make sure the Spotify app is open for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

My firewall is disabled. I already had spotify on the exceptions list but I disable it when I was attempting to do this. I'm not sure what else I could do. My next step is I'm going to borrow my sister's laptop and hope that both devices being directly connected to the wifi will fix it (even though my wifi is run through my PC's network)

There do appear to be a few threads on the board where people are having difficulty syncing local Playlists. I've asked the staff to look into it

Android Troubleshooting:
Marked as solution

Got an update for you. This is a bit of a roundabout way but by tethering the computer to the phone's cellular network through a USB cable, rather than connecting over wifi. Just using the USB wasn't the solution but when I reversed the connection to have the computer connect to the phone it synced. Temporary solution, but if it helps other people I figure I might as well tell you about it.

I'm sorry I'm not understanding that. I have LG G4 and having the same issue. If you could explain in steps what I have to do that would be great.  How do you "tethering the computer to the phone's cellular network through a USB cable"???

I'm sorry I'm not understanding that. I have LG G4 and having the same issue. If you could explain in steps what I have to do that would be great.  How do you "tether the computer to the phone's cellular network through a USB cable"???

Alright, I'm on the G3 but the process should be the same. Hook your phone
up to your computer via a USB cable like normal. After it's connected go to
our network settings, look for connectivity or something like that. You
should have a tab called Tethering and Networks. You want to to tether your
phones cellular data to the computer from there.

Yea and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. Still only shows the ones that are already there. Nothing of my personal local tracks was transferred over.

What is the max of the local files?

@izfactor786 wrote:
What is the max of the local files?

Local files such as MP3's synced from a desktop to your phone = Limited only by your device storage

Files downloaded for offline listening from the Spotify Library = 3,333 per device for up to 3 devices (10,000 in total)

Android Troubleshooting:

Yea so mine is way less than that... I don't use iTunes. I havemy files off the internet. They are songs from different countries and Spotify doesn't have those songs. The whole reason I got Spotify was to be able to listen to them through the sync option. I'm going to have to cancel my subscription if this doesn't get fixed soon. I've had this issue for like months now and its getting ridiculous. 

Screenshot_2015-10-26-09-20-34.png

@izfactor786 wrote:

Yea so mine is way less than that... I don't use iTunes. I havemy files off the internet. They are songs from different countries and Spotify doesn't have those songs. The whole reason I got Spotify was to be able to listen to them through the sync option. I'm going to have to cancel my subscription if this doesn't get fixed soon. I've had this issue for like months now and its getting ridiculous. 

Try reading the guide linked in my signature. It gives some tips for getting local files onto your phone... It's probably also worth doing a clean install as well

Android Troubleshooting:

I clicked on all your link in your signature its not giving me anything to work with here.

I've done reboot and all that and it does the same thing over and over. It doesn't snyc my downloaded tracks. why is that? Its not my memory its not my wifi because it wouldn't download the few I have. I don't understand what the heck is going on. what the heck is UPnP and how do I check for that?

Yea didnt work at all... This is retarded there is no point in me paying for premium if this feature,isn't working...

Suggested posts