Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Local Files Won't Sync from my Macbook Air to my Android Phone

Local Files Won't Sync from my Macbook Air to my Android Phone

Plan Duo

Premium

Country USA

Local Files from Macbook Air iOS 10, trying to sync onto Andoid Phone, LG G7 ThinQ

I have a playlist on my desktop Spotify from local files, and it plays fine on my Macbook. But on my Spotify app on my LG G7 ThinQ, the playlist appears but with no songs in it - they're not even grayed out, just nothing is there. I've tried every fix I've found here...uninstalled and re-downloaded Spotify desktop and mobile, am definitely on the same network on both, I tried plugging my phone into my laptop and using the USB hotspot and then wifi hotspot, my firewall is off on my laptop, I've tried playing the song from my laptop and then switching to listening from my phone, and the song just stops. I've downloaded the latest version of quicktime. The files are definitely a supported filetype (Mp3) and are recordings from a rehearsal so definitely shouldn't come up as illegal. Unplayable songs are set to show, local files show in both devices, I've downloaded the playlist on my laptop....I made extra space available on my phone (there is 10GB free and the playlist is 45 songs that I want to sync), and it is one of my 5 devices because it has tons of other downloaded songs on it, so it shouldn't be that either.

What am I missing!?

I've used this feature in the past, multiple times. It's always just worked. I'd create a playlist from my Macbook using local files, and then when on the same Wifi, I'd open my LG G7 ThinQ phone, I'd see the playlist full of songs, I'd download it for offline use. Done. I could play those songs from anywhere. The only thing that has changed is I've added the Duo subscription, but I was premium then and premium now, so why should that matter? Please help!

6 Replies

Hey there @maemay3

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, had the same local files worked fine on your phone before you changed to Premium Duo?

On another note, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall on both devices, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, another useful step in is to change the source folder of the local files on your PC. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the PC and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yeah this doesn't work

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Have done 3 clean reinstalls on my laptop and android with no luck. The playlist shows on my phone but it is empty, and the playlist on my laptop shows the local files (the download option is on the playlist so they should have auto-downloaded onto my phone's playlist). 

So I then added a random song on spotify to that playlist and it does not even show on the playlist on the laptop, so it's as if the playlists are not syncing at all. I also tried it the other way, added a random song on spotify from my laptop to the playlist and even then that does not show on the playlist on my phone.

I have also moved the local files around to different folders to try and see if that works, it did not.

I'm on the same private WiFi network and have the latest app versions installed on each device and my firewall allows sharing. I've been at this for 6 hours with no luck.

Hey @smileangel,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far are very good.

In case you're an SD card, you can try removing it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD card. Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache.

Just to double-check-when you try adding a song to another playlist that doesn't have local files, does the content sync up?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

No SD card being used - internal storage only.

Yeah, all other playlists are perfectly fine

Hi @smileangel,

Thank you for your post!

We've replied to you in this other thread. Please help us keep the communication unified in a single thread so we can give you proper assistance. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts