Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Playlists won't download to SD card for love nor money!

Solved!

Playlists won't download to SD card for love nor money!

I've tried removing the app, deleting the cache folders manually, deleting it from within the app, I've tried creating space on both SD and internal memory. But no matter what, Spotify still wants to download to the phones memory? 

I have - 

16gb internal memory (1.2gb free)

64gb external memory (18gb free)

HTC M8 

Android version 5.0.1

This wasn't always the case, in previous versions it would download fine to the external memory, I'm not sure what changed but a few months back, but I've been struggling ever since. 

I've tried following this a few times. I even tried it a few months back and gave up thinking the issue might be fixed in a later version of Spotify, but having tried again today I still get the same problem. - https://webplayersupport.spotify.com/is/problems/#!/article/switch-storage-of-Spotify-files-from-int...

I want to download music in 'extreme' quality, but ofcourse with only 1.2gb free on the internal memory it gets filled pretty fast and then effects other apps from updating as there is no space left 😞 😞 : (

Ok, so I'm going to give it another go now.. These are the steps I am taking - 

1) Open Spotify --> settings --> delete all cache data and saved data

2) Go into phone storage --> delete com.spotify.music folder

3) Go into SD memory --> delete com.spotify.music folder

4) Uninstall Spotify (I've also tried uninstalling BEFORE deleting the above folders)

5) Re-install spotify --> settings --> download - extreme quality

6) Select playlists and download (over 4g, as I don't have a stable wifi connection at work). 

After the above, having gone into Android file manager --> Android --> data --> com.spotify.music --> files --> spotifycache --> storage I can see a whole bunch of folders and downloaded data :( 

if I go onto the SD card --> Android --> com.spotify.music --> cache This folder is totally empty. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @tryatt,

First of all I would recommend you to format your sd card (make sure to backup all your data from it!).

The second step is to make sure how many offline devices display here. If there are three, please delete at least one!

A fresh reinstallation of Spotify and clearing the cache is helpful, maybe necesarry, too

Q

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi there @tryatt,

I can see that you know where these folders for Spotify are located. That's good!

"Some people have had luck with Apps2SD apps on the Play Store. You could always try manually moving the \Android\data\com.spotify.music\ folder from your phone memory to the sd memory then reboot!

It may then detect the new location and continue using it; else it may become corrupt and you will then have to perform a clean install; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!"

@Daniel wrote a nice and short construction about that, maybe it will help you out.

Q

Thanks for the info. I tried moving the folder from phone memory to the SD card, and it simply made a new folder in the application memory and ignored the offline data on the SD card!

I will see if Apps2SD solves the issue. 

I'm reluctant to wipe the phnoe back to factory settings just for spotify, but I might end up going down that route to see if that helps. 

Alright @tryatt,

please let me know if it worked or not.

If there are still problems, then I will escalate that for you!

Q

Downloaded AppmgrII (aka App 2 SD) , and Spotify is one of the immovable apps. 

Would be good if there is another solution other than a factory wipe 🙂 

Marked as solution

Hi @tryatt,

First of all I would recommend you to format your sd card (make sure to backup all your data from it!).

The second step is to make sure how many offline devices display here. If there are three, please delete at least one!

A fresh reinstallation of Spotify and clearing the cache is helpful, maybe necesarry, too

Q

@Quanty wrote:

I had 3 devices listed, two with dates 10/11/15 and one with todays date.. There should only be two devices in the list as far as I can remember. Either way, I removed them all , uninstalled Spotify (checked the local and SD card folders had been deleted), then restarted my phone and re-installed Spotify. 

Seems to have done the trick!!! Thanks for the tip 🙂 I'd been struggling with low space for months! 

Suggested posts