Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify App for Android TV doesn't work

Spotify App for Android TV doesn't work

Plan

Premium

Country

Argentina

Device

Philips Full HD Android TV

Operating System

Android TV

My Question or Issue

The Spotify app for Android TV is not working. Songs play for 8 seconds without sound and then skip to the next song, again without sound. Other apps on the TV work fine. I cleared the cache, uninstalled the app, reinstalled it, and rebooted the TV, but nothing worked.

169 Replies

I also have this problem on Chromecast with Google TV.  Naturally everything on it is up-to-date since everything there is auto-updated.

Restarting routers has no effect or help.

This happens on all my Chromecast with-Google TV devices.

Hi there,

I am experiencing the same problem. I have tried clearing cache, restarting, toggling gap-play, uninstalling etc. 

There are no system updates as I have the latest version. I don't want to cast because I can't use my phone without random sounds interfering. 

Device(s):
K2s Yaber projector. Android TV 12. 
Model: 
HAKO mini
Exact OS version:
Android 12. Firmware 12.2.2
Exact version of Spotify (include the version number):
Version 2023.12.15_2 

E-release v2.260
Date of most recent reinstall: 21 January 2024
Plan type: Premium

I have the same problem on Hisense TV with Android 11 (and with previous version 10 - too). Spotify play well on the Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S20), but stops playing and starts just skipping tracks when I'm switching playback to the TV device.

I already tried all possible solutions: Full factory reset of the Android TV device and reinstalling the Spotify app on it, reconnecting from the phone, reinstalling the phone app, clearing all the caches, all the other suggestions from the community forum and the internet, and so on - nothing helps!

The same Spotify app plays sound well on the Google Nest Hub Max device, but doesn't play on my Hisense TV!

All other apps like Youtube Music - work well on my Hisense TV with no sound issues! The problem is only with the Spotify app.  How can I gather and report more technical details to help the Spotify engineers make the diagnostic easier?

spotify has no audio on my google tv and the music plays until 10 seconds without sound and immidiately switches to a different song from my library and this is repeated

The solution is turn off wifi and connect TV to router via cabel.

@evaterry wrote:

The solution is turn off wifi and connect TV to router via cabel.

No it's not.  Or rather, if it is, then your wifi is broken and that is a different problem than being reported here.  Not everyone here has broken wifi.  There are very clearly other problems with the Spotify Android TV app that are at play here that are not because of broken wifi.

Device Samsung TV 65" AU7190

Model UE65AU7190UXZT

Exact os version T-KSU2EDEUC-2201.0

Exact version spotify 2024.02.12_1-645bc1f

Date reinstall 21/02/2024

Country Italy

Plane Free

Facing same problem

MODEL- Sony Bravia KD-55X75K Google TV 

VERSION :- Android 

Exact Spotify version:- 1.81.55

Date of most recent install:- 21 Feb 2024

This problem is back again. It's happening on my Chromecast and my Sony Bravia.

Very, very frustrating.

1.81.55 on both devices.

Hi!

Just a recap, the error we are getting is Spotify does not work on some smart TVs / Chromecast.

The error is described as "Music plays with no sound for the first 5 seconds then skips to the next music and this goes in a loop.

It seems more like Spotify's App compatibility issue with certain Android TV/Chromecast and router/network configurations. I have set up two different SSIDs to test. One has a dual-band SSID and the other is set to 2.4G. Switching back and forth from two 2 SSIDs temporarily fixed the problem. However, it does not work all the time.

I have restarted and reset my router but did not fix it.

What fixed my problem was using a different router. 

However, this is still a bug that Spotify should look into. I hope Spotify will find a resolution to this because it is such a hassle for subscribers to purchase a different router just so they can use Spotify on their Android TV/Chromecast. Even the need to reset the current router or network shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

I have a Samsung CU7000. Spotify app has never worked correctly on it. I revisit and troubleshoot periodically. Reinstalled today. No change.

Hi

I have been facing the same problem for about two months now. 
I've been following this thread, and there are users who have been experiencing the same problem for several months. 
And still the problem is "under investigation"...
you are not a start-up company that can allow such a user experience.  It's not what people pay for...
find some programmers, they don't have to be the best, even average ones will do... just fix the problem. 
Thanks.

this still didn’t work, it won’t play sound and only plays for 6 seconds.

Meu app não abre na tv

Same issue still persists. Samsung The Frame, Android TV, doing the same exact thing. The app skips the songs after a couple seconds automatically and doesn't produce any sound. The before mentioned fixes don't work.

Meanwhile YouTube Music works without problems.

Solving the issue should not take this many months, it's starting to make switching to competitors an atractive solution.

I’m having the same problem since a few months. Tried reinstalling it, but no fix. One day, it magically played music again, but the next day it was broken again. 

In my case, Spotify plays the song, but no sound. Android TV 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for all your replies. We're continuing our investigating on this matter. For all of you who have this issue on NON-Samsung TVs, please provide us:

• When did this last happen? Please include the exact timestamp including your time zone.
  • The exact makes, models and OS/Firmware versions of all your affected devices
  • The exact Spotify Versions you use.

We'll then forward this to the relevant teams to aid in the investigation.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having this exact same issue. I recently started using my home gym a little bit more and wanted to play some music. I open the Spotify app and select a playlist to play. It will "play" the first few seconds of the song, no sound, then skip to the next song. Rinse and repeat. 

• When did this start happening? Noticed it a few weeks ago
  • The exact makes, models and OS/Firmware versions of all your affected devices. Sony Bravia KD-60X690E (FW 4.931-1.100-005), Shield TV Android 11 (Android TV v9.1.1(33.2.0.157))
  • The exact Spotify Versions you use. v1.81.55

All other apps (Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, etc) work correctly with sound. I'm on a hard wired Ethernet 1GB connection direct from the Shield to the Router. I've tried everything from Clearing cache, clearing data, uninstall/reinstall, unplug all devices/router and leave off for 10 mins before rebooting. Nothing corrects the issue.

This setup has worked correctly with Spotify in the past. I am a premium Spotify account holder of several years. I will be leaving the platform if this is not fixed soon. 

Thanks for the details, @StellarJay!

Apart from the requested info in @Joan's post here which would help with investigating, could all of you folks that are using NON-Samsung TVs try to re-create the issue and get back to us also with the timestamp and date, including your time zone when you experienced this?

We appreciate the cooperation and are here if anything else comes up in the meantime 🙂

IvelinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So to bring you up to speed, so far I have done a factory reset of the SHIELD TV as well. I've tried reinstalling Spotify directly through the Play Store on the Shield as well as through Chrome on a Windows PC to the Shield.

I just created the issue both by opening the Spotify App on the Shield and also selecting it as a device from my phone when my phone is already playing a song correctly (did both app connect and Google Cast options). That was today Wednesday April 3rd at 11am PST. 

I have discovered that if I uninstall the Spotify app on the Shield that I am able to cast Spotify from my phone to the Shield and get sound, but this is not an acceptable solution as I want to be able to control Spotify and open it on the Shield without needing my phone. 

Suggested posts