Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify doesn't save offline music on SD card

Spotify doesn't save offline music on SD card

Hello!

I'm a Spotify Premium user and recently moved from iOS to Android. I used to keep my 1GB music collection in my internal storage when I first bought my Moto G 3rd Generation but now that has become a problem. I want to occupy the internal storage for other applications. The solution I see is to move the music I use offline to my SD card. I can't see an option on settings that allows me to do that. I have read through threads 2-3 years old that I thought would assist me but the folders that I'm instructed to delete or alter are nonexistent. Also, as I recently adopted Android, I am unfamiliar with plenty of vocabulary associated with the process.

I hope someone is willing to help and provide me with clear, easy-to-follow instructions that are up to date (useful for an Android Marshmallow Moto G 3rd Gen user). Thanks in advance.

1 Reply

The following link provides a simple solution from Spotify to switch your downloaded music from internal memory to SD.

https://support.spotify.com/uk/problems/#!/article/switch-storage-of-spotify-files-from-internal-mem...

It requires that you delete the downloaded music currently in internal memory, and then re-download it. 

When you start re-download, the principle is that Spotify app will identify the memory with most free space (SD card) and use that.

However, as many people have found, in fact Spotify is not automatically capable to identify SD card as the biggest free space and sometimes puts the music straight back into internal.  Even a couple uninstall and reinstall of the app won’t fix it.

So:

Try the option above as a simple first try. Re-download a selection of your music and see where it is going.

If into SD – great – continue.

If into internal – come back and we can suggest the more complex options to force Spotify to use the SD.

Also – please confirm the version of Android that you are using.

Suggested posts