Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify prevents android phone from auto-locking

Spotify prevents android phone from auto-locking

Spotify prevents android phone from auto-locking. The phone does still auto-lock but it is depending on the content that is shown.
- it does not lock when some video is playing (eg tiles with moving pictures) there should be a difference in video that was intentionally selected and video that is "suggested" (eg in the main search-tab)
- it does not lock when a playlist is displayed

In these "normal" situations, the phone should always auto-lock

When lyrics are displayed in full screen, the auto-lock is intentionally blocked, that is ok.

Android 14 / One UI 6.1
Spotify 8.9.48.575
27 Replies

Hi there @Svenneke,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

It is expected for the screen to stay unlocked while a video or preview video is playing (from the Home and Search tab). This is normal for mobile devices, like when you watch a YouTube or Facebook video. If you don't want the screen to stay unlocked, you can keep the Now Playing view open, or go to Your Library tab, to make sure no media is playing.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the relevant teams. 

However, this shouldn't happen when just a playlist is displayed. In that case, you can try going to the app's settings > Storage > Clear cache. You can also reinstall the app with these steps. No worries, you won't lose any content. If that doesn't help, could you send over a screenshot of what it is on the screen when it stays unlocked?

We'll wait for your reply.

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello

I have the same kind of problem. Spotify won't let screen to auto-lock while on playlist view. I have pixel 7 with Android 14. I tried to reinstall it with the provided steps but that didn't help anything.

Hey @oulu_hillbilly

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community! 

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update either of Spotify or the OS of your phone?

On another note, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your phone to see if they can replicate this behavior with their account? Also, we'd like to know if logging in to your account on a different phone the same happens. 

Lastly, sending us the exact Spotify version you're running would come in handy. 

Keep us posted. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, Pixel 4a with Android 13 here, experiencing similar symptoms: autolocking is disabled in certain situations (even with the canvas option disabled in the Spotify app settings). Clearing storage and cache, or full reinstall did not fix the situation.

In particular, I noticed that autolocking is disabled in the Album view, but not for all albums. After trial and error what seems to be inhibating autolock in the album view is whether the new "preview" icon Screenshot_20240816-044023.png
 (next to the "Add to library" and "Download buttons) is animated. For example:

The playlists seem to be following a similar pattern but I did not test as thouroughly.

I haven't had the opportunity to test with someone else's account on the same device yet. I will post/edit should this happen.
Spotify App version 8.9.66.543

Same issue, spotify is keeping my phone screen awake - but only when the current playlist/album is open on the screen - if I navigate away (eg press spotify home, or navigate to another playlist but without playing it) then the phone locks as normal.

Canvas is off, car setting "keep app open" is off. I have tried clearing cache/storage and full re-install, still same issue.

Xperia 10 iii, Android 13, Spotfiy Premium Family account, Spotify version 8.9.66.543

Thanks everyone!

Our tech folks will have a closer look. In the meantime, make sure you're always running the latest version of Spotify so you don't miss out on any updates.

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator

Plan

Premium

Device

OnePlus 10 Pro

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

I don't want my phone's screen or Always On Display to always be turned on when I'm listening to music. This wastes a lot of battery. Is there an option for turning this off on my phone's settings or spotify itself?

Not sure what release this began. I don't update frequently, because all too often the update has defects, and after update 10 days ago, it happened again.

Screen does not dim when I'm playing in the car. Not sure which screen, busy driving.
When I play at home and not connected to car, screen does dim.

Android 14, Samsung S21

Please figure it out and learn how to do better qa testing on new code before it is released.

We know you've got the budget to do this with the recent service rate hike.

I was mistaken. Attaching example of scrren that does not dim in either situation. 

1000003676.jpg

Hi @Kangaroo857 and everyone else,

Our colleagues have informed us that this should be resolved. Please keep your apps up to date and it should work again. If you continue to face any issues, let us know so we can assist you further.

Cheers!

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Still happening. App is up to date.

I've cleared cache, updated app and restarted phone, issue still happening though 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

@leelalynn, @maxalien, would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running on your devices? We'd like to investigate further. 

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Version 8.9.68.45

Thanks

Hey @maxalien,

A new version of Spotify should be out now. Could you update the app to see if everything looks good on your end?

Keep us posted!

YordanModerator

Still not dimming.

The hilighted part of the screen looks new. Maybe this is cause of problem. 

1000003814.jpg

1000003815.jpg

  

Very inconvenient to have Spotify draining battery every day. Kindly request you give us a monthly discount as long as this bug continues to exist. Research the term "bug bounty" lots of orgs do it. 

Buehler? 

@joan @alejar @yordan

What have you got for us? 

Suggested posts