Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify won't add a song to my local files playlist.

Spotify won't add a song to my local files playlist.

I'm attempting to add a song to my local files playlist. I have local files enabled, and using the mobile app on android. Only one song is in my local files playlist, but it's not the song I'm trying to add. The song I'm trying to add is a song mashup, which the creator gave the download link willingly, but Spotify doesn't seen to be recognizing it as a song, and I can't manage the file directory to add it on. The same song works on my PC app, but when I attempt to play it on my phone, it says that I'm not able to.
8 Replies

Hi there,

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Could you confirm the file format the song is in? Local files work best with .mp3s. Also, is the song present in your phone's storage? If not, try uploading it there as well and the app should detect it. If you're using an SD card, try moving the song to your internal storage to see if that does the trick.

Make sure also that Spotify is allowed all necessary permissions (files & media and photos & videos). You can check that in your phone's Settings > Apps > Spotify > Permissions. Something else that's worth trying is restarting your device, if you haven't already - this will force a resync of all apps.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello,

The file type is .mp3, and it's in my storage.

It's in the same folder as the song that Spotify added, which is the default Over the Horizon song by Samsung.

Spotfiy does have file management permission, and I'm doing all of this internally by downloading the file through a website versus linking devices.

Screenshot_20240417-075845_My Files.jpg

Screenshot_20240417-075925_Spotify.jpg

Hi @UnknownCop,

Thanks for the reply. It seems to be an issue with the specific file. Could you try renaming it, namely removing all the underscores and other symbols, on rare occasions those may interfere with the file being read.

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Recapping so you know all that I've tried so far:

- Removed the underscores

- Restarted my phone

- Removed the song file and reinstalled it to my phone from my computer

- Switched the Spotify Local Files setting from on to off, back to on

- Made sure Spotify had file permissions

Additionally, there was a folder I had in my audio downloads that did show up in my local files playlist - they were all instrument samples for making music, so I deleted them.

So far none of these have worked, so I'm not sure what to do next. If you have any ideas I'd like to know.

Hi @UnknownCop,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Since it appears you haven't tried it yet, perform a clean reinstall on your device. This may seem a tad basic, but we know form experience that these steps can help with a multitude of issues and perhaps clearing out some damaged cache will be the key to getting this to work for you.

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator

Sorry for the late reply, but this didn't work for me either. i think the issue may be something with the file, but I don't know what could be wrong with it.

Hi @UnknownCop,

Thanks for the reply. Most likely the issue is within the file itself, so we recommend trying to convert it or modifying the metadata, while keeping the extension .mp3. In the meantime, we'll happily pass your feedback onto the appropriate team. Be advised however that we cannot say for certain at the moment when or if this is going to get addressed.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

JoanModerator

im a long time spotify user, using for the past 5 years. i recently wanted to use the musics ive had locally since they arent in spotify, and ive been struggling alot. i maintained all the necessary requirements for it to work but it still didn't. ive turned on the local files settings, offline access, all my files are in .mp3 format. but still it does not show the local files playlist in my library. ive even turned on the "photos and videos" permissions for the app and Stoll doesnt work. its frustrating to see a feature i used so swiftly back in the past is now barely usable.

Suggested posts