Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify won't connect to Google Home Mini

Spotify won't connect to Google Home Mini

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

OnePlus 6

Operating System

Android Oreo

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

In the last two days, I've been unable to connect to a Google Home speaker or Chromecast Audio. I tap the Spotify Connect icon, select my Google Home Mini, and I hear the connected bleep on the speaker, but the icon gets stuck on "connecting" and never connects.

No issues playing Spotify on the Google Home by voice command, and no issue connecting other audio apps (Soundcloud/VLC work fine).

I have deleted the app and reinstalled.

I have unlinked and relinked my Spotify account from my Google Home account.

I have reset my GH Mini.

My housemate's iOS app connects without issue.

A couple of times it has looked like it's connected, play a bit of audio and then say "playback has ended because your account is in use on another device"

32 Replies

I can confirm this behavior. Same spotify app version on my Huawei P20 Pro, Android Pie. 

This happened to me the other day, but I just said "Hey Google, play music from Spotify" and it worked. It started playing the currently playing song on my phone that I was trying to cast to Google Home with the Spotify connect option.

That works for me until I try to play a different song. It gives me the
"playing on another device" message, and stops.

Same issue with my Samsung A40, Android 9. Please investigate this behaviour.

Thanks

This seems to be fixed by spotify app update. At least it works for me. 

Current app version: 8.5.16.781

I think it also worked with one version before this, but I am not sure how many app updates there have been since.

I'm experiencing this exact same issue.

Spotify Premium

Google Pixel running Android 10

Spotify version 8.5.523.686

Spotify refuses to connect to any of my Google devices (Home, 2x Hubs, Chromecast, Home Mini). I hit connect. It sits at Connecting... for about 30 seconds then goes back to the normal icon. I can play music fine using voice commands on the Google devices, but as soon as I try to switch songs on my phone it gives the "Sorry, the music stopped since your Spotify account is in use on another device". 

I've had varied success reinstalling the app, but I lose my downloads doing that so it's not a viable solution. I've tried signing out everywhere via the Spotify site. I've tried unlinking Spotify from the Google Home app. I've tried rebooting my Google devices. 

Any ideas?

I'm having this same issue.

Spotify Premium

Google Pixel 2 XL running Android 10, Build QP1A.190711.020

Spotify version 8.5.23.686

Connecting sounds the single beep connected sound from the Google Home Mini or Google Chromecast Audio, but the connection never establishes.

I have the same issue. Huawei p20.  Is this a Spotify issue Google home or Android version.   I can connect from a android tablet perfectly fine.  Just not from the p20

I started having this same problem a couple of weeks ago, too. Turns out it was because Spotify was in offline mode. I switched that off, and it works perfectly again.

I also get this to all my devices. I can set one album/song going, but if I change it then it stops working. The only way to fix it is to uninstall then reinstall. It will then let me play one item before not working again.

Other people's devices are the same. Am wondering if it's an Android 10 thing ...

Still having the issue, this time on version 8.5.24.762. Hopefully this can be fixed in an updated Android 10 patch, Google Home patch, and/or Spotify release. Ugh...

Can confirm this is happening with a Galaxy S9+ as well. I was hoping it was Samsung's fault, but it looks like that's not the case. Spotify version is 8.5.25.984

Plan: Spotify Premium Account

App version: Spotify for Android: 8.5.27.957

Hardware: Google Pixel 3a / Google Home Mini / Chromecast

Platform-Android: Android 10 build QP1A.190711.020.C3

Platform-Chromecast: Cast firmware 1.42.172094

Platform-Home Mini: system 171861, cast firmware 1.42.171861

Attempting to cast to Chromecast device or Google Home device results in 'Connecting' message, with eventual time-out.

I verified that Spotify on iOS 8.5.26.893 on iPod Touch running iOS 12.4.2 works fine with Chromcast and Google Home devices.

Same here and it's been happening a while now. Oddly, it only happens with songs I have saved to my library. I can cast anything not saved perfectly. On Android 9.

Same here. I'm waiting vor a fix for several weeks, but nothing happend.  

I'm experiencing this issue since this summer, I've tried to remove/delete/reboot everything so many times... I'm chatting right now with SpotifyCares on twitter, they asked me several times spotify version and to remove/delete/reboot  but without solving it.

I was afraid it was only me but it seems that I'm not the only one...

In my case even the spotify connection to Sonos system is broken in the Spotify app, I must use the Sonos one

(sorry for my english)

SpotifyCares have been trying to help on Twitter too. They gave me a test account to try and that can connect. But no luck with my real account still.

Yesterday they gave to me an account test as well. So far no luck to reproduce the issue with the test account...

Edit: ops, still using the test account 😄

I have exactly the same problem. 

Spotify just stopped connecting to google home speakers, but only the Android app. 

App on iPhone works absolutely fine!

Suggested posts