Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Unable to control volume when Android screen off/locked

Unable to control volume when Android screen off/locked

Until recently I was able to control Spotify Connect volume from my phone (Chromecast Audio) but this no longer works. I have to unlock the phone and enter the Spotify app in order to control volume!

Is this a bug? Will this feature be returning? 

5 Replies

Fingers crossed that it's a bug... But as this feature have been "broken" for a month now I'm not sure Spotify is interested in fixing it...

See this thread for temporary solution: https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/highlight/false/...

Same thing here. This only happens with spotify. When using pocketcast, for example, I can control the sound on chromecast audio even with the screen off, and even from my smartwatch. It used to work normally couple months ago. It is not a problem with the android version, since I had this problem using a nexus 6p with nougat and a moto x wih lolipop. It's something with spotify. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Update: If you cast to your Chromecast FIRST then connect to Spotify it works fine. It's using the native volume controls within Spotify itself that's causing the problem. Also, the actual volume levels via Spotify volume are waaay higher than with native Android volume levels. Super annoying.

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work to me. The only way I can cast to my AudioChromecast is through some application. In this case, I tried casting first through pockecast. With pockecast I could control the volume from the foreground and background, and even with the screen off. Then, only after that, I launched spotify and casted my music to AudioChromecast. Same problem: I just could control the sound from the foreground. Once I leave the app, letting it running on background, I'm not able to control the volume anymore.

I am on version  8.4.0.539 and I have had all kinds of volume control options the past few months.  My phone is set to auto update apps, and my spotify was totally up to date.  I simply uninstalled the app, reinstalled (same version) and everything was magically fixed!!

Suggested posts