Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Unable to start Spotify with poor connection

Unable to start Spotify with poor connection

Since there seems to be no way to report a bug I am posting this here.

I often have a poor connection to the mobile network, either due to a crappy phone or being in areas with poor coverage. When connected to the network, but with a shaky connection, Spotify will open but will not load any of my playlists and will instead just be black where the playlists should be. I have many playlists saved for offline use so it should still be able to run so that I can play those. If I go into airplane mode or if I have a solid connection, then I can start Spotify, but not if I am somewhere in between. It's very frustrating that Spotify will run when completely offline, but not if I am online with a slow connection.

My guess is that Spotify sees that my phone is online, so tries to retrieve my playlists and info from the server. It waits for this to happen, it fails or maybe just never gets anything back, so Spotify never shows my playlists or does anything.

The solution might be to have some kind of timeout on retrieving data from the server, and if it hasn't received data in that time period then it reverts to offline mode. It seems like Spotify should already have this so maybe something else is going on.

It also seems like the data it's retrieving shouldn't be so huge that it can't load it over a slow connection, but that is another issue. It is also an issue that this is just failing silently and Spotify just sits there with a black screen.

It would be great to have this fixed so that I don't have to go into airplane mode every time I want to start Spotify.

0 Replies

Suggested posts