Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why can't I change the order of my songs in my playlist

Why can't I change the order of my songs in my playlist

I can't change the order of my songs in my playlist there's no filter button every time I click the edit playlist it only shows up to change the picture never the songs nothing is working I've looked at other solution and everytime I see someone say click the 3 dots I do and it still won't let me I'm on the most recent update
12 Replies

Hey there!

Thanks for the question.

You can find the Sort and Filter options on mobile when you open your playlist and pull down on the cover image and release. You can find more info on that here.

When it comes to changing the order of the songs to a custom one you should be able to do it via the 3 dot menu > Edit playlist as you mention.

It should look like this: 

Elena_0-1650965002608.png

and you can use the 3 lines next to the song to grab the track and move it up and down.

Does that work well for you? If not could you try  clearing your cache to remove any old files that might be causing issues.

If that doesn't do it for you, could you let us your phone's Spotify version and, if possible, if you experience this on other mobile devices?

We'll be on the lookout for your answer and we'll see what we can suggest next.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for this solution.   However it's far from intuitive.  You should be able to make changes directly from within the playlist.  I can long press on a specific track to bring up some options and remove and move should both be options in that context menu.  

It appears Spotify needs to hire some competent UX designers.  

Dang it! How can they hide such a thing? I am a "tech savvy guy" that has been using computers, smartphones and tech stuff since the 90s and I cold not find this function without googling and finding this article. Incredible how un-intuitive they can make stuf..... Thank you dear Elena for the solution but you need to put this where you can find it.

My suggestion is put it at the "three dots menu". That is the first place I looked. My second suggestion is put it as a small arrow icon on the top of the list, like in windows, apple or android usually puts it. 

Hey @milky81 ,

Thanks for posting in the Community and the suggestions.

It'd be best to go through the process of submitting an idea, as described here, so we can be sure, that the suggestions reach the right team. If the submissions adhere to the guidelines, they'll be published and you'll be able to share them with other users to vote on them.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Looked promising, but "custom order" still doesnt seem to let me reorder. It just gives me the custom order created on my laptop. Am I missing something? 

Hey @Bheym,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation. 

The "Custom order" option should give you the ability to rearrange the tracks in the order you want as shown in the screenshot shared by @Elena. If the app is not letting you change the order, it could be related to some damaged cache stored on your device or an outdated version of the app.

In both cases, we'd always recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If the issue persists, include in your next response the make, model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

I've had the same issue since some update.  When viewing my library > Playlists > Custom order.  I'm able to reorder some playlists and not others.  Actually, it appears that I can reorder the playlists but not the folders.  I need to be able to reorder the folders.

I have already performed a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in your article.

In my experience, this issue exists on multiple Mac devices, at least.  Here's details on one such device:

MacBook Pro

Ventura 13.4.1

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.19.941.gbf202593

👎

After updating to the following version, this issue appears to have been resolved:

👍

None of this works for me.  I’ve done a complete reinstall 3 times and nada.  When I click edit on the playlist it opens up and shows zero songs to move around.  

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

@untgtegory - just to confirm, are you currently subscribed to Premium? Keep in mind that it's not possible to rearrange the order of songs in a playlist using the free service on the mobile app, which might be why the option doesn't appear for you. However, you should be able to change the order using the desktop app & the Web Player.

Should you, however, be subscribed to Premium, could you let us know what device and operating system you're using? Your current Spotify version would also be helpful.

Let us know if anything else pops up!

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Mines doing the sane thing edit is shoring no songs to move around 

Hey @Lilly143,

Thanks for your reply here and welcome.

Just to confirm, is your account Premium or is it on our free tier? Keep in mind, as mentioned previously here, it's not possible to change the order of tracks in your playlists if your account is free, and you're using a mobile device.

If your account is Premium, would you mind sharing with us if perhaps you've tried some troubleshooting steps so far? If you haven't, we'd suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app. By doing that, the app can be up-to-date, and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can see the steps for a clean reinstall here.

If the issues should persist after that, it'd be awesome if you could share with us the following:

• The make/model and OS of the device on which you've noticed this issue.
  • The exact Spotify version you're running.
  • Some screenshots of what you're seeing on your side.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

My playlist is around 9 hours long. I dont have any for of shuffle or repeat on or any enhancements, this playlist has been longer so I’m not sure what has caused not being able to edit my playlist. It’s a solo playlist only I have added songs on to.

Suggested posts