Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why can't I play while not connected to wifi or data??

Solved!

Why can't I play while not connected to wifi or data??

I pay for Spotify Premium and only signed up as I though you could listen to your playlist while not connected to wifi etc.  I understand not being able to download while not connected.  Can someone confirm if this is right?  Might as well cancel premium and put up with not being able to shuffle songs, as the charge plus cost for wifi makes it too expensive for what it is!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm confused. You do realise that you need to download music first if you want to listen to it offline?

The process is described here.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Have you switch the toggle to "Download", does your playlist or songs show a little green arrow beside them?

Marked as solution

You're not being very specific but another thing which may throw you is that when you start up spotify in offline mode, you'll see a blank home screen with a message saying you need to go online. That's only true if you want the home screen to display. Tap the hamburger menu bar or swipe right and then tap Your Music to find and play your downloaded playlists.

Marked as solution

Those help files a a mine of information. Worth a browse when you're really really bored 🙂

9 Replies
Marked as solution

I'm confused. You do realise that you need to download music first if you want to listen to it offline?

The process is described here.

I'm confused too!

The music is all downloaded. I have my playlist.

All I want to do is listen to it without having to use data or wifi.

I understood that was a benefit of paying for Premium - that you didn't need to be connected to data or wifi.

My problem is that if I am not connected, I cannot do ANYTHING on Spotify. Listen or download. I don't expect to be able to download new songs while offline, but I do expect to be able to listen to my existing playlist!!

Marked as solution

Have you switch the toggle to "Download", does your playlist or songs show a little green arrow beside them?

Marked as solution

You're not being very specific but another thing which may throw you is that when you start up spotify in offline mode, you'll see a blank home screen with a message saying you need to go online. That's only true if you want the home screen to display. Tap the hamburger menu bar or swipe right and then tap Your Music to find and play your downloaded playlists.

Oh my gosh, no.  So I had songs on my playlist, but apparently they were not downloaded.  How does that happen?  Do they download to my  phone and use up space?  I'm so thick!!  

But thanks, I am downloading them now and will toggle that setting and pray it all works!!

Thank you Joe.  i looked at that link and realised I hadn't downloaded the songs, or toggled teh offline thing.  Does that mean I've been playing songs directly online?  Argh!

Thank you thank you thank you!  I am sure you have fixed my problem.  YUSS!!   And above poster too 😉

Marked as solution

Those help files a a mine of information. Worth a browse when you're really really bored 🙂

Are you saying that I can't stream music using cellular data?

Suggested posts