Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

unable to play purchased Taylor swift music

Solved!

unable to play purchased Taylor swift music

I purchased Taylor Swift music via iTunes and transfered the music to Spotify but I can't play any of her songs. They are present in the iTunes playlist but I can't download or play. Does this have anything to do with her pulling her music? I am running Spotify on a Samsung Galaxy S4 which is why I can't play the iTunes tracks directly.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello there, I'd be more than happy to help you.

First of all, turn on your computer and run the Spotify app.

Open the Spotify app on your mobile.

You should now see your device name on the Spotify desktop app, click it.

Now you will see your playlists in there, select the iTunes playlist or wherever you have the Taylor Swift songs on.

They should be syncing into your device now. (Be sure the Available Offline toggle is on in your device for it to start downloading.)

Hope this helped you, any further questions be sure to ask,

Happy Spotifying!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hello there again! Did you follow the steps I gave you? I'll simplify and will try to be as easy as possible okay? (:

1st. Open Spotify on your desktop and create a new playlist called "1989 - Taylor Switft" or as you wish

2nd. Drag the album from iTunes to the "Local Files" there in the Spotify App.

3rd. Go to your local files now and you should see a box up-right called 'filter' in that box type '1989' and all the album songs should be there.

4th. While holding the 'Ctrl' key on your keyboard select all the album songs and drag them to your new playlist.

5th. Now with your phone open the app there and look at your playlists, you should now see 1989 there, select "Available offline" and it should start syncing.

(NOTE: Your Spotify desktop app must be opened for music to sync on your mobile device.) To show you proof that I have done this and the album is playing for me I've attached an image.Screenshot_2014-11-10-19-12-17.png

Let me know if you need any further help, and if this helped you make sure to mark it as a solution!

Happy Spotifying!

Marked as solution

I have had exactly the same problem and realized what's (probably) causing it and found a solution:

- When you add any kind of local music to spotify it (apparently) tries to analyze what the Spotify repository has to offer, and if it finds the song, it will play it from Spotify, NOT from your local file (at least on mobile).

- Most Taylor Swift songs cannot be streamed from Spotify, but they ARE listed. They are just "greyed out"/unplayable, whatever

- If you add properly tagged Taylor Swift songs, it finds them in the Spotify repository, and tries to play them from there, but they are unavailable, causing the initial problem.

The solution for me was relatively simple after all. I just changed the artist on all the songs to "Swalyor Tift" and Spotify wasn't able to find the songs anymore and played them from my own files 😄

Marked as solution

Make sure that in the mobile Spotify App you have the option in Playback "Hide unavailable songs" deactivated. This did the trick for me, including for Frank Ocean's Blonde album.

21 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello there, I'd be more than happy to help you.

First of all, turn on your computer and run the Spotify app.

Open the Spotify app on your mobile.

You should now see your device name on the Spotify desktop app, click it.

Now you will see your playlists in there, select the iTunes playlist or wherever you have the Taylor Swift songs on.

They should be syncing into your device now. (Be sure the Available Offline toggle is on in your device for it to start downloading.)

Hope this helped you, any further questions be sure to ask,

Happy Spotifying!

What format are the tracks in (mp3)?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Turns out even though I did the right thing and purchased Taylor Swift's new album she is still blocking it from being played with spotify. The only way I can play the itunes album on my samsung galaxy is by dragging and dropping the files onto my phone and playing the tracks through the music player.
Marked as solution

Hello there again! Did you follow the steps I gave you? I'll simplify and will try to be as easy as possible okay? (:

1st. Open Spotify on your desktop and create a new playlist called "1989 - Taylor Switft" or as you wish

2nd. Drag the album from iTunes to the "Local Files" there in the Spotify App.

3rd. Go to your local files now and you should see a box up-right called 'filter' in that box type '1989' and all the album songs should be there.

4th. While holding the 'Ctrl' key on your keyboard select all the album songs and drag them to your new playlist.

5th. Now with your phone open the app there and look at your playlists, you should now see 1989 there, select "Available offline" and it should start syncing.

(NOTE: Your Spotify desktop app must be opened for music to sync on your mobile device.) To show you proof that I have done this and the album is playing for me I've attached an image.Screenshot_2014-11-10-19-12-17.png

Let me know if you need any further help, and if this helped you make sure to mark it as a solution!

Happy Spotifying!

This isn't working anymore. I can complete the playlist and make it available offline but it is not visible on the phone app in either playlists or iTunes.

Same here, can't get it to show up on my phone app for spotify even though the files are on my phone too. It just says 'waiting to download'

This isn't working. No local files are syncing. 

@user-removed wrote:

This isn't working. No local files are syncing. 

Please read the support topic here for assistance setting up local file sync: Listen to local files

Make sure that you are on the same WiFi network and Windows & third party firewalls are configured to allow the Spotify connection through.

Another point to note is that sometimes if a track is stored locally & is also available to stream then when you sync to your device it will automatically use the Spotify streaming version but the data from your playlist. If for some reason the metadata such as track length differs this can cause conflict and break the track. In this instance you are best off removing the local file from your playlist on the desktop and adding the track from the Spotify server then re-sync. This should fix this issue.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Pretty weird that it isn´t working for you guys, are you running the latest update on both, desktop and device?

Having similar issue but not 100% the same. Any help would be great.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Download album purchased in iTunes

2. Open spotify and create playlist with file in there.

3. Plays perfect on computer

4. Open iOS app and find playlist.

5. Click "Avaliable offline" toggle

6. All songs are now on phone EXCEPT Blank Space and Shake it Off.

Solutions tried:

Convert m4a files to mp3 files and then attempt to create a new playlist and sync again.

Same issue that only the 2 songs mentioned above say they can not sync even though ALL OF THE OTHERS did.

Does spoitify not allow syncing of those 2 songs for some reason but every other song from the album is fine?

This is only an issue since last time i wiped phone and tried syncing again. I used to have all songs playable on the phone before the new desktop and app UI's went into place.

untitled.png

I'm having exactly the same problem!!

I am also having this problem, however in addition to it I cannot get Bad Blood to synch. Shake It Off attempts to sync, and instead I get "Shake It Off (Piano Version)," which isn't what I want.

Can confirm. Same problem on my android device. Everything syncs and then 3 songs become unplayable.

This DOES NOT WORK for me

I have a mac and turning off the firewall does not help. In fact, because I can sync some local files (adele - "25" songs) proves that my computer setting is good.

After I add the local files (TS 1989) to a playlist on my mac, the playlist shows up on my iphone's playlist and it shows there are 16 songs but inside the playlist on my phone is empty.

I think Spotify is somehow blocking some of the songs, just admit you guys filter out some songs for local sync. I will happily move to one of your competitors.

Well it's been months and it seems that Spotify does not seem to care at all. Sad to see that I have been a user since 2 hours after official US launch without ever canceling and they do not seem to flinch when problems arise because this thread does not have enough kudos.

I'm having the same problem with purchased Taylor Swift songs that are stored locally on my PC.  The solutions provided in this thread won't work.  I can play other songs stored locally, just not Taylor Swift.  

I'm very disappointed in Spotify for not addressing this issue: people have been posting about it for well over a year.

Marked as solution

I have had exactly the same problem and realized what's (probably) causing it and found a solution:

- When you add any kind of local music to spotify it (apparently) tries to analyze what the Spotify repository has to offer, and if it finds the song, it will play it from Spotify, NOT from your local file (at least on mobile).

- Most Taylor Swift songs cannot be streamed from Spotify, but they ARE listed. They are just "greyed out"/unplayable, whatever

- If you add properly tagged Taylor Swift songs, it finds them in the Spotify repository, and tries to play them from there, but they are unavailable, causing the initial problem.

The solution for me was relatively simple after all. I just changed the artist on all the songs to "Swalyor Tift" and Spotify wasn't able to find the songs anymore and played them from my own files 😄

Thanks for your post!

Thank you!

I did just this and it finally works!

Suggested posts