Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Re: Spotify (Windows Desktop) Forces Login Through Browser

Re: Spotify (Windows Desktop) Forces Login Through Browser

For linux, after some mistakes from my side, I was successful with firefox (but I think every other browser will also work)

As a minimum, I needed the file ~/.config/mimeapps.list in the user profile with the following content:

[Default Applications]
x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop

8 Replies

Premium user here.

I am having the same problem... did Spotify consider this tiny little points?

1) why would anyone download the desktop app if you have to log in through the browser anyway? Then it makes much more sense to simply use Spotify on the browser and save steps/time

2) why rely on a 3rd app (browser) that you don't control and have no idea how it is used by the user, to make your app work? I feel sorry for the workers at Spotify that have the task to reply in this forum, due to this silly experiment... (by the way, it would be nice to tell Spotify "hey, I'm constantly looking for new ways of paying, so maybe one or two months a year you will not receive my payment, but don't worry in the long term you get the money).

and I am not even on MAC or Window! I use Linux. I have tried everything (installing from SNAP, installing from Ubuntu/Debian repositories), always with the latest available version (both for app and the browsers, Chrome and Firefox). The problem is not Windows, is not MAC, is not Linux, is not how you installed it, is not the caché, etc. 

The problem is the terrible decision/implementation of this new login experiment by Spotify.

I managed to log in yesterday on the freshly installed app on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with firefox as browser.   When I start the app again today it just gives a black screen.

Could it be something with the weird login procedure?    Why would the app need to call up the user selected system browser to do the login?  That could fail spectacularly depending on which browser the user prefers.    Better to use the actual Chrome browser that is embedded the app.   The whole thing seems rather contrived to me, but feel free to explain the reasoning.

Dude!  This is exactly why it's a really bad idea to force logging in through the users prefered system browser.   You don't have any control over which browser that happens to be so you'll have to support and test all major ones.

If you'd kept the login inside the app, that contains an embedded chrome browser you've selected yourself and have complete control over.    Why would you not do it that way?

I have the app opening up all black on linux.   I suspect this is the culprit.   Please advise how to debug this. 😕

I'm running Linux and have this problem as well.  Clicking "Log in" on the desktop app is supposed to open a link the browser but does nothing.  Can't even manually grab the link address, which would have solved the problem.

OS is up to date, Spotify app is up to date, all browsers are up to date, does not work on chrome/brave/firefox as default browsers.

If we could just manually copy the link, I'm guessing none of this would be a problem.

Please fix this so that we can use the service we are paying for.

If you're on Linux and unable to login because your browser doesn't open at all, like it didn't for me, there's a different solution. Go to your terminal and switch to older Spotify version using the "downgrade" tool, once you do, open Spotify and you will be able to login directly in the app. Make sure the option to stay logged in is enabled. Once you're logged in, you can update the application again.

Spotify version 1.2.11.916.geb595a67 black screen on Ubuntu due to bug in auto-login.

See here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/spotify-not-starting/td-p/5603801

No response, so I'm reposting it in the official thread about the new post april 2021 re-write.  Did it ever work?

Suggested posts