Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why am I getting ads on Spotify Premium?

Why am I getting ads on Spotify Premium?

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC desktop

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

At the start of some podcasts, I am getting targeted ads in a completely different language than the podcast is in. The ads are completely random and unrelated to the podcast itself. Why is this?

I'm paying for this service, specifically to avoid ads. This is outrageous.

15 Replies

Hey there @Deniecu, thanks for writing.

Spotify doesn’t play or include ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers. However, some podcast creators may include third-party advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship messages in their episodes - even if unrelated to the podcast itself.

I hope this clears things up. Let me know if you have any other questions!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am having this issue too. I don't mind the host read ads but I'm getting YouTube style commercials on my premium subscription now as well. This plus a price increase doesn't make sense. 

Same thing here. This clearly isn't host selected ads, as it is in a different language as the podcast itself. It really feels like YouTube ads. Unrelated, irrelevant and unnecessary. I pay premium to not listen to ads like this.

When the host reads an ad, the product usually relates to the podcast theme, and I appreciate the recommendation.

This is different and worse.

I also find this outrageous. 

Premium Family account, am getting inappropriate ads during Podcast I have been listening to for years

Premium Family account user.

For several years I have enjoyed listening to Podcasts especially In Our Time.

Never once has an ad interrupted mid episode until now.  The ad was inappropriate as I am listening with a child and to have an ad play relating to a horror program is inexcusable. 

Cease immediately Spotify or I will be cancelling Family Premium Account.

Ridiculous and Greedy 

Same here. I've been a premium subscriber and podcast listener for years. Sometime within the past 6 months I started getting ads that cut in multiple times during episodes. On the desktop app the sidebar pops open with pictures or videos supporting the advertisement so it's definitely not part of the episode. At first I thought it was just one particular podcast but now it's happening with various different ones. I understand that creators may read sponsor ads and that is expected but the reason I have always paid for premium is to not be interrupted by annoying ads while listening to content. 

It apends to me too and the notification even calls it advertisement 

I also pay for premium and started getting ads during podcasts. Why am I paying if there are ads? I may as well cancel if I’m getting ads regardless. 

Same for me. Why is this happening?

Completely outrageous from Spotify - sneaky and greedy, have been a premium member for years but I'm cancelling today.

Just came here to say I also find this type of ads absolutely unacceptable!

I just had 2 ads in a row in local language for a local shop chain. Outrageous and not cancellable (especially while driving). Totally unrelated to the podcast I was listening to.  If this continues I will take my business elsewhere. It will be inconvenient for my kids but on a 15 min journey I do not want to listen to 5 mins of ads. I thought that’s what I paid for.

Same here, suddenly got a set of ads today on a podcast. What's this about then?

I've been getting ads in a different language than the one I speak. It's quite annoying plus jarring when I drive. Mostly it encourages me to split my attention to fast-forward the ad segment while driving, which is a safety concern. Is there a way we can opt out on it? Please stop this, it really ruins my listening experience.

JRE is getting terrible with ads. Guess he wasn’t making enough money. I’m cancelling 

Suggested posts