Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Make 'smart shuffle' its own button or toggle.

Make 'smart shuffle' its own button or toggle, or let us disable the feature entirely in the settings menu. It's frustrating having to toggle past smart shuffle to get to regular shuffle every time, especially as there is a slight delay where it has to pre-load the suggested music.

I also have no idea why smart shuffle takes priority over regular shuffle in the order. Surely more users prefer to use regular shuffle, which means we're being given an extra click for no reason. Good UI design is partially about getting from A to B in as fewer steps as possible.

Please fix this.

Comments
caramelr

I came on here to leave a post and thankfully see I’m not alone. The smart shuffle feature drives me mad. Why implement something that would interrupt the user’s experience like that. Get rid!!!!

Koelkaststekker

It shouldn't even shuffle.

The shuffle button should shuffle, the "enhance" button (or whatever they want to call it, smart it is not), should only add songs, NOT also shuffle.

And of course there is no reason for it to be the same button.

namiom

yes please fix this

yunopayne

I totally agree. The smart shuffle feature should have its own button or be able to be turned off. It’s really annoying to have to skip past smart shuffle just to use regular shuffle, especially with the extra delay. Regular shuffle should be easy to use and not hidden behind extra steps. 

TamlinST

Please provide a way to disable smart shuffle, it's a crappy "feature" and I don't want to ever use it, ever ever ever.  Please provide a way to disable it or I'll need to find a new music service to give my money to.

nuralmhithawi

This is a great idea, when Spotify introduced the smart shuffle I was a bit confused and didn't know when it would be on or not! 

aleeeson

I hate smart shuffle. I hate that it is the default option when I click the shuffle button. Sometimes I make sure to toggle it off to normal shuffle and find it's reverted back to smart shuffle! Smart shuffle feels like a deeper ploy to play the biggest trending songs on my device.

onlytocomplain

i absolutely hate smart shuffle, the added tracks don't hit my taste at all, so it's basically an additional tap to get to the basic shuffle feature

Dentyyy

Smart shuffle is, from all of the people I've spoken to, and all the forums I've read, across many many websites, the most unanimously hated feature in Spotify, I don't think I know anyone who likes it, and if anyone does, I seriously question their ability to formulate rational thoughts.

Allow us to permanently disable smart shuffle soon or I am switching to another service. Right now the ONLY thing that keeps me with Spotify is that I really can't be bothered to transfer my 4k track library somewhere else, so, I'll admit, you've got me there, but every day that passes and I have to click the shuffle button a random amount of times, slowly makes me feel more ready to sit there and switch my library somewhere else. 

In the past year I have found Spotify to be getting worse and worse, The mobile app feels like you had a team of pre-schoolers code it, Every track is downloaded on my phone because I am often without internet, why is it that it takes sometimes a minute or more to play a downloaded track? I have a flagship phone with the latest OS. You guys really need to get your act together. I'm honestly Annoyed with myself for cheaping out and buying a spotify subscription, at least the artists would have gotten paid properly if i had bought the cds..

Luchkiin

Absolutely agree with the majority of people here that the smart shuffle is one of most annoying things that Spotify has released in a long time, its just a bad UX-feature from the get-go. It was launched from out of nowhere, at least to my experience, with minimal customer onboarding and from there on its has been really hard to control whether you want to use it or not.

There are a few things that I feel need to be changed with this, these are:

1. The most important one. Have a on or off toggle for it under settings, letting the customer to choose if they want to use it or not.
  2. The click feedback both in the mobile and desktop app is really bad, especially in the mobile app where the toast message doesn't even keep up when you are switching from smart to regular shuffle or vice versa.
  3. Clearer distinction between the icons. The difference between the regular and smart shuffle icons are so minimal and non-noticeable that I have a really hard time telling them apart, especially in the beginning when this was launched.