Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify Connect can't find Alexa devices

Spotify Connect can't find Alexa devices

Trying to play on my alexa devices, but no devices appear in the Spotify Connect list.

If I start a Spotify Playlist in the Alexa app then go to Spotify it will be Connected. I can then control it freely.

- force stopped the app and cleared the cache, didn't help
‐ restarted my phone, didn't help
- updated Spotify, didn't help

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Top Answer
AlejaR

Hey @q4-0ij28mg_x,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

Great initial troubleshooting! In this case, we'd suggest unlinking your Spotify and Amazon accounts. Here's how:

1. Go to skill settings in the Alexa app.
  2. Select Unlink account from Alexa.
  3. Go to Apps, from the Spotify account page and check if you see Alexa there. If yes, select the Remove Access button you can find next to it.

As soon as your accounts are no longer linked, we'd suggest checking that all your devices are up-to-date. Check if perhaps there are pending firmware updates for your Alexa devices. If yes, update them.

After that, it's important to do a soft reset (switch off and then back on) on all Amazon devices you're using, as well as on the devices where you'll use Spotify to stream from.

If this issue persists after trying the above, would you mind sending us the make/model and firmware version of your Alexa devices? It'd be really helpful if you sent us the exact Spotify and OS versions you're running on your mobile device.

Keep us in the loop! 

Top Answer
joshuapatel
Visitor

Just say, "Alexa, Spotify Connect" and you'll be golden.

18 Replies

Hey @q4-0ij28mg_x,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

Great initial troubleshooting! In this case, we'd suggest unlinking your Spotify and Amazon accounts. Here's how:

1. Go to skill settings in the Alexa app.
  2. Select Unlink account from Alexa.
  3. Go to Apps, from the Spotify account page and check if you see Alexa there. If yes, select the Remove Access button you can find next to it.

As soon as your accounts are no longer linked, we'd suggest checking that all your devices are up-to-date. Check if perhaps there are pending firmware updates for your Alexa devices. If yes, update them.

After that, it's important to do a soft reset (switch off and then back on) on all Amazon devices you're using, as well as on the devices where you'll use Spotify to stream from.

If this issue persists after trying the above, would you mind sending us the make/model and firmware version of your Alexa devices? It'd be really helpful if you sent us the exact Spotify and OS versions you're running on your mobile device.

Keep us in the loop! 

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Using Spotify on an Alexa device is a nightmare.
- Spotify app frequently can't see the 'everywhere' group.

- Spotify app can't see custom speaker groups.

- Alexa can't find custom playlists in Spotify.

- Alexa will start playing a spotify playlist and then stop 2 seconds after starting.

- Spotify app doesn't show certain Alexa devices and speaker groups in its list of speakers to play to.

- Inconsistent behavior with played through the same routine each morning.
- Amazon Alexa support just points fingers at Spotify and says "that's their problem."

I am surprised there isn't a whole support thread on this topic.

Since a few days my Spotify does not work through Alexa anymore. I tried to reconnect the skill. However Alexa says that the skill is no longer available. I doubt that you disconnected the service. I live in the UAE

Such a pain to do this. And it happens like every month or so, then it comes back. Why is this happening? Is it happening on premium accounts or only free ones? I'm not paying more for the same functionality 

I used to listen to Spotify through my Amazon Alexa and I no longer can connect it. I have to listen through my computer and the sound is not that good.

Same here!

Just say, "Alexa, Spotify Connect" and you'll be golden.

i did this and all the speaker groups i have, plus the alexa that wasn’t connected, all showed up in spotify connect. ur a lifesaver i was getting so annoyed that it wasn’t working properly anymore 

I’ve tried everything and mine still doesn’t work /: They were working fine yesterday. Cannot get them to show up on the app today, but if i say “alexa play spotify” it plays and shows im connected on the app.  I’ve done everything from factory resetting both alexa’s (show 8 & dot 5) shutting my phone off everything. Turning on and off local networks, switching networks (5 & 2.5) literally nothing works at all. 

Hey there @idfkass,

Thanks for your reply here and for the info shared.

In this case, we'd recommend you try the following:

• Perform a clean reinstall. By doing that the app can be up-to-date and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can see the steps for a clean reinstall here.
  • Make sure the firmware of your echo dots is up-to-date. You can follow this guide to do it.
  • Unlink Alexa from your Spotify account. You can follow the steps mentioned here.

If the above doesn't do the trick, we'd like to gather some additional info. Please send us:

• The make/model and OS of your mobile device.
  • The exact Spotify version you're running there. 
  • Does this happen if you control the playback from a different device? You can ask for the mobile device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having a similar issue where I can play spotify if I bluetooth connect my phone (iPhone 11) to my Echo Spot. If I say "Alexa play spotify" it will show that it's connected but there will be absolutely no sound. It shows that the song is playing in my Spotify app but again no sound. Works perfectly fine when it's bluetooth connected. I don't know what else to try. I've unlinked several times and restarted both devices. I don't want to keep my echo if I can't get it to play Spotify...

I struggled with this for quite some time. Finally, I got it to work by simply saying "Alexa, Spotify Connect" to my Alexa speaker (Echo Dot 5th Gen). After that, it showed up on the speakers list in the Spotify app on both my phone and laptop. It also appeared on the Spotify lists of other phones connected to the same Wi-Fi network. I might have to do this each time I want it to show up on the Spotify speakers list if it's missing, but that's okay.

Please note that I have not enabled the Spotify skill in the Alexa app, nor have I linked my Spotify and Alexa accounts. That's not necessary for this to happen. Just make sure the Alexa speaker and your phone/laptop with Spotify are on the same Wi-Fi network.

(This doesn't happen with Bose speakers connected to the same Wi-Fi; they automatically show up on the Spotify speakers list!)

Please note that I have not enabled the Spotify skill in the Alexa app, nor have I linked my Spotify and Alexa accounts. That's not necessary for this to happen. Just make sure the Alexa speaker and your phone/laptop with Spotify are on the same Wi-Fi network.

Quoting joshuapatel from 2024-06-30 03:59 PM " ust say, "Alexa, Spotify Connect" and you'll be golden."

This totally worked for me!! I have an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S23+)

Hi there,

I have been having this same issue. I have followed ALL of the above troubleshooting steps including deleting both apps, updating all software and firmware, disabling and re-enabling skills, saying Spotify Connect and more, and my Echo Pop is still not visible anywhere. This is supremely frustrating, can you help with this?

@Stuey1, Just say, "Alexa, Spotify Connect" and you'll be golden. This seriously works. I don't know why the moderator keeps giving instructions to reinstall and all that other bs.

I’ve had this. I deleted Spotify app and reinstalled it and all working again! 

That definitely works. I just hate having to do it almost every day. 

Suggested posts