Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

local files not appearing

local files not appearing

i’ve got everything set up. local file sharing is allowed, it’s allowed in my settings on the phone, i’ve even got 50 gigs of icloud storage, yet for whatever reason i have no local files folder. saw somewhere it’s gotta be legally acquired, two of them are from the clancy digital remains bundle on the twenty one pilots website and the other is my own audio file for my song i’ve produced and recorded w my friend. everything is good for them to share they just won’t 😕
11 Replies

Hey,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you've already enabled Show audio files from this device and restarted the app and the folder is still not showing up, the files are most likely not being recognized due to formatting issues. We'd suggest re-saving them using some audio editing app/service and trying again.

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

iPhone 12 Pro

Operating System

iOS 17.6.1

My Question or Issue

I had it before, but i accidentally deleted the playlist 'local files' (cause i wanted to delete a song that wouldn't play) and now i am trying to get it back.

I have done a fresh install of it - clearing cache, deleting app(& data) from settings, and given all the permissions that it requests (local network, media & apple music, files and folders etc.) when reinstalling and turning on local files.

The folder shows up in my files (on the phone - not iCloud) and i have an mp3 file on there (of which can be played on my laptops local files..) but not in the Library section.

Anyone know what I can do? Not sure if it's allowed, but I want to put up a reward for anyone who can find my solution, cause i have spent almost 2 hours trying to figure this out...

Hi there @rumpelstealskin,

Thanks for reaching out.

This is quite strange. The local files playlists should be a special entity and deleting it like a normal playlist shouldn't be possible. Can it be you just unpinned it from the top and now it's located somewhere low in the library list? Try scrolling down to see if that's the case.

If you still can't find, perhaps something like this can help:

1. Turn off the local files discovery
  2. Perform a clean reinstall of the app
  3. Turn the local files setting back on and follow the process to reimport your files as shown here.

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator

Hey there, thanks for the reply:)
I have scrolled my library multiple times with no success. 
Now I've done another clean reinstall and turned on local files, but still no luck:(

Hey @rumpelstealskin,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the shared info.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you following the full process mentioned in this article to import your files? If so and the issue persists, could you import other different songs to see if the behavior is just related with the old ones?

Also, could you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to watch it).

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

Hello Oscar:)
My phone and OS are stated in the post (iPhone 12 Pro + 17.6.1), the Spotify version is 8.9.64.456
The problem is, that the playlist for Local files doesn't even show up with the setting enabled. I tried with a different file, and now it showed up. Now all I need to figure out is why the other file won't show in the first place. 
Are there certain mp3 variants that Spotify can't read/load?
Thanks for your help so far! I've been scratching my head for too long.. 😅

I'm currently having the same issue. However, no matter what audio format I try, the Local Files playlist does not show up on Spotify on my phone.

Hello Mitch:)
I saw on a different thread that some mp3 files can contain an 'id3'. This can sometimes be the cause, and you can find tools online to remove these.
Other times an mp3 may contain a cover image/art that is too large in size.
Idk what was wrong with my initial file that I tried to play, but I hope this could assist you!

My issue:

On Android I cannot find my local files anymore. I tried a few other solutions I found here but none worked for me.

When I first downloaded Spotify and enabled this setting, it was working instantly and I was able to see and play all my local songs from SD card which were located in the Music folder at the SD card root. Recently I changed my SD card, moved all my files to the new one and the Local files playlist disappeared. Here are all my related app and permission settings which I did not change in the meantime:

Screenshot_2024-08-24-13-41-38-856_com.spotify.music.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-24-13-41-31-291_com.spotify.music.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-24-13-48-06-191_com.google.android.permissioncontroller.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-24-13-42-45-742_com.spotify.music.png

My new SD card is not defective, I have verified it with h2testw and I also tried to randomly play a few dozens of local songs stored there and they all worked.

My device information (same as when it was working, nothing changed since):

- Xiaomi Redmi Note 11

- Android 13 (13 TKQ1.221114.001)

- Spotify v8.9.68.456

To fix my issue, I tried the following so far:

- Clear cache and Remove all downloads within the app itself,

- Trying to set "Local files" and "Data-saving and offline" settings on and off, and the "Storage location" back and forth,

- Clear all Spotify data, uninstall and make sure that Android/data/com.spotify.music were also deleted on both internal storage and SD card,

- Clean Spotify reinstall,

- Double check app settings and permissions.

Nothing solved it and I still can't see my local files.

I would like to emphasize that it was WORKING before with my previous SD card, I even used the same location as before (root/Music) and I can play the files with a local music player just like before.

The only difference is that my previous SD card was 32 GB microSDHC, and now it is 256 GB microSDXC (again, verified that it's not corrupt).

La cartella del file locali non spunta

Piano

Premium

Paese

Italia

Dispositivo

iPhone 13

Sistema operativo

iOS 17

La mia domanda o problema

Ho attivato la spunta dei file locali ma non la vedo nelle playlist… che faccio? ho provato tutto cancellare e installare di nuovo, spegnere il telefono ma niente. anche dal pc lo stesso

Hey folks,

Thank you for your messages.

To continue investigating this case, could you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists? 

Also, in order to have more detailed info for the internal teams, @31yz3w7ppchvtc635kzw include in your next response the make, model, OS version and Spotify version you're currently running on your device.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts