Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Give the option to disable “made for you” feature

Give the option to disable “made for you” feature

It seems that all the Spotify-created playlists I used to listen to were often updated with new songs by real, human editors. It was super convenient for discovering new music.

And now a lot of these playlists are labeled "made for you" and contain mostly AI added tracks I've already liked, sometimes not even close to the playlist’s genre. Even when I listen to things far from what I usually listen to, the auto-play function always ends up playing music I know. 

It's a real bummer, I feel like there's no easy way to discover new songs anymore. Could we get the choice to disable the “made for you” feature ? 

20 Replies

Hi there @Piers9,

We hope you don't mind us moving your post out of the ideas section to one of our Help boards for now.

Spotify and user-created playlists are different from Made for you playlists. Spotify and other users create public playlists that can only be edited by them (the creator) and everybody has the option to follow them and listen to them anytime they want.

Now, Made for you playlists have always been around. They are personalized mixes created by Spotify for each user. Only you can access your 'Made for You' playlists. They are updated every now and then and are based upon your listening history - similar bands or music, and what other artists' fans like, songs that you skip/repeat, and the artists you follow. You can always find them here.

Now, there's not an option to disable or turn off Made for you playlists, but you don't have to listen to them. If you want playlists created by Spotify for all users, or playlists created by other users you can recognize them by checking the following.

Spotify-created playlist will show the Spotify logo and say Spotify right below.

Spotify created.jpg

If another user created it, you will see their username, and if they are 'Made for you', they will show a Spotify logo and say 'Made for [your username].

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is not entirely true, If I'm browsing through my playlists there is no way to tell if it's a 'made for you' or a real spotify playlist as they both have the spotify icon on them I actually have to click on every playlist to see which type of playlist it is. This significantly degrades my browsing experience.

The screenshot below shows two playlists from my 'home' page. The one on the left is 'made for you' the one on the right is a real playlist, as you can see there is no way to tell which type of playlist it is whilst browsing through playlists.

Playlists.png

Secondly, in my case the 'made for you' playlists contain almost exclusively songs I already have in my personal playlists just in a different order. I have no idea why anyone would want that and I never ever listen to them so my browsing experience would be most improved by being able to turn off the 'made for you' playlists entirely (as the original poster suggested).

The original suggestion is an excellent suggestion and I very much hope this thread will be returned to the ideas section and the suggestion implemented! If the 'turn of' suggestion can not be implemet please please please at least make it possible to identify them when browsing without having to click on every single playlist.

How to remove Made for You playlists

I am so frustrated about the “made for you” aspect of song and artist radios. I listen to a wide variety of music. If I go to Glass Animals radio, I expect to hear music that is like Glass Animals. That is the entire point. But if I spend a weekend with my girlfriends taking a Taylor Swift detour, now Spotify thinks it is accurate or appropriate to put a Taylor Swift song as the second song in Glass Animals radio?! That is absurd and infuriating. Please please please undo this or give us the option to turn it off. What if I give my phone to my kid? Now the Frozen soundtrack is part of Ska radio? Absolutely moronic. This undermines the entire value of paying for spotify as opposed to other music services.

This has been such a frustration of mine that I have become more and more aware of over the last month or so. Spotify has clearly made a substantial change in how it builds out "song radio" playlists and "artist" playlists and "autoplay". I 100% agree with ccirou3 above. 

Additionally I have noticed a similar poor algorithm when I play an individual song and have autoplay turned on to continue playing more songs. The newer algorithm that Spotify uses continuous plays the same 50-150 songs that have been in my recent listening history that sort of match with the individual song that I selected. This did not used to be the case and it was so much better when Spotify would rely more on the individual song or artist to build it's own playlist or queue from rather than my recent listening history. Spotify is quickly going down the drain and is becoming a daily frustration to use.

Radios are trash at this point, I hate this so much. I used to use radio feature to explore new music, not listen to my own playlist. No matter the artist, radio will always play songs from my library 85% of the time.. 

Agree with all of this feedback. Spotify, PLEASE add an option to toggle off "Made for You". I used to explore new music through Spotify playlists, but now it seems like my old favorite Spotify playlists have become "Made for You" shells of what they once were. All the same songs everywhere. I used to get so excited when my favorite Spotify playlists would get updated because I'd have new artists to explore. Now they're updated by AI almost constantly... to perfectly match the music I am already listening to. 

It totally feels like it got worse recently. I mean, I'm posting in the support community which is something I literally never do for anything. It's BAD. 

I am already a subscriber of YouTube Music which I’ve never used until Spotify completely messed up with music and and artists radios. Right now I’m listening to YT Music. If Spotify does not roll back the radio feature as it was before I will cancel my longtime Spotify subscription. 

It would be incredibly nice if it would be possible to turn this option off. If I wanted to listen to my own music I would turn on my own playlist.

I completely agree with all the concerns raised by other users. I find the new feature very frustrating, as it mostly recommends incorrect songs. Convenience is extremely important to me when it comes to music apps. In this situation, I have a solution to offer: try using YouTube Music's radio feature. Its recommendation algorithm is similar to the one we used to enjoy on Spotify.

I agree. The "made for you" has made it very unsatisfying and removed all the fun of discovering playlists for new music. It's all the same now. The reason why I chose Spotify is because I wanted to easily discover new music. We didn't need this "made for you" feature. All playlists sound the same!

Spotify's playlists uses to be well curated and I so loved discovering new music that way. Made For You has turned every genre into a creepy echo chamber of songs I've already heard, to the point I can't escape it. After months of attempting to "correct" the algorithms and looking for quality non- Made For You playlists, I'm finding myself turning on the ACTUAL radio and wondering why I'm continuing to pay for my monthly Spotify subscription...

Spotify: we made it harder for you to listen to the music you actually want to hear

Also Spotify: every playlist is now exclusively songs you already like

I grew up in the 90s and some of the particularly bad chart music from that era makes me feel very nostalgic. I don't want to have the curated 90s playlists full of good artists I already listen to regularly like Nirvana or Alanis. I want to find the stupid novelty songs that remind me of being 8. Sometimes we want to listen to familiar music, sometimes we don't, being able to toggle it (like the smart shuffle) would be a great solution.

Agree with all the posts above. I absolutely hate this made for you feature. Hopefully Spotify figures out how to add an option to toggle this off. If not, I’m switching to YouTube music 

Hey @Susan_GP that is not true at all. Take for example the spotify public playlist "Sci-fi scapes" that i've been following for years, but since we started getting this "Made for [user's name]" now I keep seeing a lot of the artists and songs I already know. I checked in a ignogito session comparing the playlist and they are very different playlists. All we want is a way to disable this "made for you" feature so that we can get the "default" curated playlist

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.35.40 a.m..png
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.36.02 a.m..png

This is such a great point. I specifically go to artist radios to listen to that specific music and potentially find new music, not have songs I already like shoehorned in. So frustrating. 

HOW CAN WE TURN OFF OR GET RID OF MADE FOR  feature. All I ever see now are songs I've already liked. I don't get turned on to new music or discovery much because now everything is MADE FOR me. It's terrible !!!!

Please let us create an option to turn it off?

Thanks

Coleman

I agree with all comments above. I’ve been a loyal Spotify listener from day one and now that almost every playlist and artist and song radio is made for you regardless of genre is ruining it all! Please give us the option to turn this off. It’s obvious from many forums that this is not a popular change. 

Suggested posts