Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify Podcast is in Spanish - Can't Change it.

Spotify Podcast is in Spanish - Can't Change it.

I wanted to listen Lex Fridman's podcasts. But when played via GHA, it is in Spanish.
Joe Rogan plays fine.

The missus has a paid sub to Spotify. We went into her Spotify iPhone 12pro max App IOS and have made the language English (was anyway). App, just goes to the IOS language setting.

On my droid app (Samsung), non paid sub, my language is English Australian.

On Win11, logged in under the missus details, the language is set to English.

Select Lex Fridman, choose an episode and it plays in Spanish!!

Chose #433 (Sarah Walker), and it plays in Spanish...!!

In looking up he (Lex), can only speak Russian and English. It's Spotify's venture with Open AI, whereby his podcasts can be heard in various languages.

We have never been to Spain. Have no interest in Spain/Spanish. Never looked up anything to do with Spanish.

Even saying "Hey Google, play Spotify podcast Lex Fridman episode four hundred and thirty three – in English", doesn't work...

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

Google Home

Living in Australia

4 Replies

Hey there @obba41

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know what do you mean by GHA? Also, does this only happen when you listen to that specific podcast episode, or it happens with other episodes as well?

Additionally, have you checked if this happens across devices? We went ahead and checked the episode you mentioned on the mobile and desktop apps and it played in English. Could you send us the episode's URI to check if we listened to the same one? 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Oh, Hi,

Sorry for belated reply. I didn't know how to get back into this help forum.

GHA is Google Home Assistant. It's pretty big out there you know?

I have Google speakers around the house. And last night I went to try the Lex Freidman podcast again, but first went "Hey Google, play podcast Joe Rogan". 

It then will play Joe Rogan podcasts in English. I can say "Hey Google, play podcast StarTalk". It will play Neils Degrasse Tyson's Startalk - in English.

Then I tried Lex Freidman and it plays in either Spanish/Italian or Brazilian....!!!! 

I went back to Joe Rogan and it plays in English.

I don't ask for a particular episode. It just plays, I guess the first one. I can say halfway through "Hey Google Next" and it seems that the 'next' podcast in order (I'm not sure as it never says any #), plays.

I can say "Hey Google, play previous", and it seems to go backwards. I'm not sure of any order, but it's the only way to move in different episodes until I find one that interests me. 

I can't provide a URL as I'm speaking to Google Home speakers.

I have just browsed some other comments. Is it possible it's the ads that are in a foreign language? Maybe I'm listening to that ad's. but I have no idea... as I can't understand them!

Thanks,

Alan.

Hey @obba41,

Thanks for the reply and for the info shared.

We'll need a video recording of the behavior you described in order for us to better understand exactly what is happening. You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can watch it.

On another note, you mentioned above that you tried on a computer, and you could replicate this, right? Would you mind opening your account there to check if you can replicate this behavior as well? It'd be awesome if you could let us know whose account is linked to the Google account on the speaker.

Lastly, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi, Ok. Wierd this. I tried to record it and it appears that Lex Freidman does not play, but someone else.

Anyway, I have done a small video onto YouTube for you to check out.

Hopefully YT does not remove it due to copyright...

https://youtu.be/C9LvgenO1zs

Suggested posts