Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Hide username from profile URL - HUGE privacy concern

Hide username from profile URL - HUGE privacy concern

It's impossible to hide your username from your profile URL and this is a HUGE privacy risk since most people are unaware of this, especially for users who have their real name as their username.

I understand if Spotify doesn't allow users to change their username for identification purposes, but at least let us change it just once to a string of automatically generated letters and numbers, like when new accounts are created. We should be allowed the same courtesy at least.

I'd argue we were even deceived into a false sense of security because while we can change our display names, Spotify doesn't mention that your username can still be found out extremely easily through your profile URL.

Not only is this a massive privacy issue, since this entails a huge risk of doxxing. But this is also a HUGE inclusivity issue since I know of several cases of transgender people being forced to see their deadname in their username.

In my opinion, this should be a top priority for Spotify since this affects their oldest clients and as such we should have priority for our loyalty, otherwise we can just terminate our premium accounts and go to competitor services that will actually listen to our concerns.

2 Replies

lol they dont care they literally dont have an option to hide your real facebook name and people have been asking for more than a decade

this makes it so difficult to share playlists... i literally have to resort to youtube every time. i got doxxed because of this on a huge discord server as well

Suggested posts