Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How much data does the Spotify Connect feature use?

How much data does the Spotify Connect feature use?

Say I'm on a 3/4G network on my phone and use the Connect feature to stream music to my desktop which is connected to the internet through a standard ethernet cable. Does the mobile app use as much (or more) data, or does it only send a track id or something and the actual streaming is done on my desktop?

Essentially what I want to know is do I use the same amount of data listening on my phone when I'm on a mobile network, as when I'm streaming it to my desktop using the Connect feature? Which device is downloading the audio data?

Thanks 🙂

Best,

3 Replies

@user-removed - Connect devices stream directly from Spotify (whichever device is playing), so using your phone to control another device will only use a tiny amount of data. You are correct, it essentially only transfers track identifiers, basic commands and artwork etc back to your app when it is open.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm wondering if you can still confirm that this is still the case (that only the Spotify client that is currently playing the LIVE audio stream consumes the streaming data, while the other clients just consume data for album art, and syncing up the live progress)...

This is because so much has changed over the years when you first gave this answer 

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community!

Spotify Connect uses the data of the App that is currently streaming. Let's say you're listening on the Desktop App using Connect feature and you control it from your phone - the data that's gonna be used for audio streaming will come from the PC, your phone will consume data only for essential commands as mentioned before.

You can find detailed info about this feature here

Hope you find this useful. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts