Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Android app displays 'no internet connection', can't play downloaded tracks

Solved!

Android app displays 'no internet connection', can't play downloaded tracks

For the past 24 hours, the android app (ver 0.7.2.402) has displayed 'no internet connection' even when every other app works and on wifi too. Playlists load, then disappear. Downloaded tracks can't play even when i switch to offline mode.

What's up?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi/ Could you try removing the cache from the options screen and restart your android to see if that fixes it.

What device are you using and do you have the Collection feature?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

It's Nov 2014 and this issue is still happening. I have an HTC One M8. Cleared the cache, uninstalled/reinstalled: still a no-go. Can't uninstall and reinstall all the time, especially while driving. Can we get an actual fix, not a patch?

Marked as solution

I think I may have solved this problem once and for all, ive been lurking these threads hoping for an answer and I think I may have it... I hope it solves the problem across the board, even if it only helps a few I'll still be satisfied. Check your settings to make sure background data IS enabled. In the gs5 that setting will be in the battery saving settings, and gs3, if I remember correctly is in sync settings. I think what the app does when initially opened, runs the data in the foreground, but in order to keep playing music while the screen locks it has to switch to using data in the background, which is why some people will have issues getting the next song to play, because that first song had already loaded by the time it switched to background. And I think where the problem gets worse is that once you unlock the screen the spotify app MAY or may NOT switch back to running data in the foreground in my experience its totally random, possibly a design flaw. So, atleast for me, allowing background data allowed spotify to run as it was designed to. Let me know if this works for anyone.

20 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi/ Could you try removing the cache from the options screen and restart your android to see if that fixes it.

What device are you using and do you have the Collection feature?

Yup I cleared the cache now and it works. However playlists take a long time to load even though i've downloaded the tracks to my phone.

Thanks

Do you have Collection?

The code needs fixing in the app - Can't keep clearing cache every time this happens as it deletes ALL local data, collections etc. Happens about 2-3x a week for me on 4.1.2 galaxy s3. Poorly coded internet detection in the app.

@ninteh Are you on the Beta programme? If so, please post in the beta test forum.

If not, please let me know you spotify username and I'll pass it on to the staff as you shouldn't have the collection feature. In the meantime, deleting everything in Collection and not using it should cure the issue. You may need to delete the cache one last time.

If you don't have collection, please post details of your device, android and spotify versions, thanks.

Nope, not beta. The latest version from android marketplace, on the Galaxy s3 android 4.1.2. The bug has happened way before this update though.

I've got this same issue.  "No internet connection" even when I have stable WiFi or LTE.  It will take anywhere from 5 to 45 seconds to detect that I do indeed have service.

Nexus 5

KitKat

Most recent Play Store version

I'm the newest member of the "no internet detected while on wifi" club. 

Unless there is a way to clear the cache w/o deleting songs downloaded for offline use, cache clearning isn't an option for me. I have too many songs downloaded and since I'm in a place where internet speeds aren't that great it will literally take me days to get all my songs back.  Tell me there is a fix in route.  it seems to be random what wifi it wants to download on. 

HTC One
Google Edition 4.4

Spotify 0.7.3.636.ga3aacdd3
See no mention of collections

As well as your spotify version, please confirm if you have the new Collection feature, thanks.

Hi Joe...

Yes, I have the Collection feature.

Version 0.7.3.636.ga3aacdd3 (that really rolls off the tongue.)  🙂

Thanks.

A

0.7.3.636.ga3aacdd3

galaxy s3 android 4.1.2

seems like an update comes out every week for this ¬_¬ hoping this one is fixed..... won't know until I get to the gym and discover it doesn't work again 😉

and i've got 'collection' - i had it on last version and this new update.. 

Issue still present on a Samsung Galaxy S2 running Android 4.1.2, Spotify app version 0.7.9.1170, hangs on login, have to try multiple times (about 20 minutes to get one successful login) then it shows as "no internet connection" over a stable and fast wi-fi that works fine for all other applications on the device.

Hi. I saw this a lot on my old S2 when I was beta testing and it took a while to settle down after which it worked fine. If you have a lot of playlists or songs added to Your Music, you could be seeing the "no connection" messages while it finishes populating everything completely.

I also remember reinstalling several times before it became more responsive.

Marked as solution

It's Nov 2014 and this issue is still happening. I have an HTC One M8. Cleared the cache, uninstalled/reinstalled: still a no-go. Can't uninstall and reinstall all the time, especially while driving. Can we get an actual fix, not a patch?

Marked as solution

I think I may have solved this problem once and for all, ive been lurking these threads hoping for an answer and I think I may have it... I hope it solves the problem across the board, even if it only helps a few I'll still be satisfied. Check your settings to make sure background data IS enabled. In the gs5 that setting will be in the battery saving settings, and gs3, if I remember correctly is in sync settings. I think what the app does when initially opened, runs the data in the foreground, but in order to keep playing music while the screen locks it has to switch to using data in the background, which is why some people will have issues getting the next song to play, because that first song had already loaded by the time it switched to background. And I think where the problem gets worse is that once you unlock the screen the spotify app MAY or may NOT switch back to running data in the foreground in my experience its totally random, possibly a design flaw. So, atleast for me, allowing background data allowed spotify to run as it was designed to. Let me know if this works for anyone.

I agree, this is obviously a common issue as hundreds of search results come up regarding this topic, yet there is not a clear solution.

Sent another email to CEO/Head of Product - THIRD EMAIL with no response now...

to support, Nicholas, Charlie, Chug

Hi Team,

I hate to do this again, but it's that time of year.

Where is the update? Where is the communication with the Spotify community. You no doubt know that this is a big issue now with Internet Connectivity.

Can we run through how customer service works again please? I'm the customer and you're supposed to service me/product if something goes wrong, correct?

Is there a reason for the stonewalling? Is it that you don't have it worked out? Is it that you're just trapped under all that money 🙂 and letting your low level employees deal with the blow out?

Rorey - Thanks for at least making it known that there's a problem. The others who work for Spotify are not as communicative as you, even though it was a canned response.

Spotify for music is quickly turning into Comcast when it comes to customer service, something I don't think the Customer Service Team would be happy to be labeled as.

I think it's a bit silly that I and others have had to persist on this board for so long to get a short reponse like the one you gave us.

At this point I can probably give a better update than yourself.

Manny told me - 

Dec. 25th - JUST RECIEVED a test HTC ONE M8 Device running on TMOBILE

Dec. 25th - Was finally able to replicate the problem

January 1st/2nd - We're working on it.

How is it that it took you guys THAT LONG to get a tester device to work? I did 80% of the screen shotting and trouble shooting for you. 

Rory - It's not your problem, but I think it's good if you could give us a little more insight into the following three points -

1. Why has it taken so long for a Spotify Response?

2. Will Spotify REFUND ALL USERS FOR THE MONTHS WHERE THE PRODUCT WAS NOT WORKING PROPERLY?

3. How will you prevent something like this from occuring again in the future?

Suggested posts