Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Autostart/autoplay/resume not working anymore

Autostart/autoplay/resume not working anymore

Plan

Premium

Device

Samsung A52

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Up until recently (fee weeks ago), I would see the following behaviour when connecting my phone to a Bluetooth device:

- when connecting to my car, Spotify would start and resume play where I last left off, usually a playlist

- when connecting to my Bluetooth headphones, I would press the play button on my headphones and Spotify would start and then resume playback (as above)

This is now no longer the case. I have to start Spotify on my phone and then I can start playback. I did not change any settings and can not find any settings that would influence this behaviour.

Anybody know what is happening ? Thanks.

40 Replies

Done the update, version is now 8.6.78.266

Issue persists, both in my car and with my headphones.

Issue also persists when using with my earbuds. I just tried it this morning before a walk and Spotify refuses to start playing with the typical tap I do with them. I'm pretty sure my car autoplay would have failed at this point as well.

The "multiple instances" issue I brought up regarding the notification has multiplied, as it now shows 3 instances of Spotify running. The latest one (ending with the last song I played last night) is the one that still shows an "asleep" version that is refusing to play unless I tap the notification's button or go into the app. I'd assume at this point that whatever fix was attempted with the Bluetooth autoplay behavior is also resulting in the duplicate notifications.

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies.

We've consulted about this with the teams in charge and in turn, they made the proper investigations backstage. In this case, we can confirm that this behavior is expected due to how the specific Bluetooth device is designed to interact with the Spotify API and how the operating system presents notifications, specially on Android 10 and 11.  However, we’re constantly optimizing our app, so this behavior might change in future updates.

@TheCheat54 About the two instances of Spotify, we suggest you take a look at this thread which has handled that specific issue and shares a possible solution. 

We thank you all for your reports, please make sure to always keep your app up to date so you don't miss any important updates or fixes.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So you're saying that the breaking of this functionality from the way it worked before is the intended design? It makes no sense that I should have to pull my phone out of my pocket every time I connect to my car or earbuds.

The user experience is weaker for this change.

My thoughts exactly.

It used to work, then it stopped, we went through all this troubleshooting and now you're saying it is intentional that it doesn't work anymore ?

Just to chime in: I'm also experiencing this issue.

Samsung A41, Android 11, latest firmware. Spotify version 8.6.82.1113

I'm also having this same exact problem. I just bought a new Samsung S21 Ultra and Spotify won't resume playback in my car any more - which it always did with my old phone. This really needs to be fixed!

Sounds like the issue I am having, used to be able to put my Samsung Buds in and tap to start playing from my last spot at any time. Now I have to open the app, when I do that It starts to receive the tap command correctly and I close my phone. I feel like it takes about 1/2 an hour after I lock the phone and stop listing to music before it reverts to not taking tap commands, having to unlock the phone and open the app. The app aswell has unrestircted battery access and is still running in the background.

I think this also relates to another problem I saw on the forums 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-Play-not-working-after-some-time/m-p/5313765#M18354...

Samsung S21, Android 12(Build SP1A.210812.01.G991WVLS4BUKK), Spotify(8.6.94.306), Samsung Buds (10DE) (R170XXU0ATF2)

Just updated to newest version (8.6.96.422) going to test and see if issue resolved.

Sounds like you're having the same issue indeed and I agree, the other thread seems related.

If we are to believe the Spotify people then this is supposed to be normal behaviour, even though it used to work !

This might be more of a Samsung's poor battery management on new phone models issue than related to Spotify.  I really hope there is a fix for this eventually. 😕

No Luck with the updates, even had an update to samsung wearables and I'm still having the isues.

Don't know if this helps but when I pulled down the notifications screen when my phone is locked, it does recognize that my galaxy buds have connected, just that the tap commands aren't being read.

Hy.

I am using the latest Spotify (8.6.96.422) but the issue is still being. My Spotify show the tiny play button, when I start the car and my Samsung phone connect to car audi with bluetooth, the music can't play automatically. I reinstalled the app, battery optimazition off. How can you solve this problem? Thanks.

Same for me. Used to work - now doesn't. Design fault being explained as design feature IMHO.

Same issue for me. I'm on a pixel 4a running Android 12, but the issue started with Android 11 (worked with it for some time, and then it stopped working without any change/update that I could identify). Happened about 2-3 months ago for me.

Edit: just to add, I've tried all the troubleshooting listed here, without fixing the issue.

same here. used to work in my car, now it doesn't (for some time) anymore. no troubleshooting worked. nothing here, nothing on "don'tkillmyapps". now it's easy to say "it's samsungs fault". but i'm not sure if that is correct.

Hey Everyone, 

It seems that the most recent samsung update and spotify update has fixed the issue for me, don't know if this will last but it has been a couple of days since I got both of the updates

Spotify - 8.7.2.1205

Samsung S21 - G991WVLU5BVA1

Buds update R170XXU0ATF2

That's great

Still not working for me even after updates. 

I thought it was the other day but I had forgotten I had been playing Spotify in the house so it was already open when I got in my car. 

😞

Damn 😞 wish it was working for ya. I should mention that it seems to have fixed itself for bluetooth headphones and spoitfy, playing from a state where it the app is still on in the background. 

Ahhhh. I see...  I thought it worked for you whilst NOT in background. 

So either I keep it on and drain the battery OR I have to remember to launch the app on my phone EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. LOL 🤣

#usertestingfail 

Using a Google Pixel 6, having the same problem.

First I thought it's about Android 12, but now reading here about intended behavior?? On my Huawei p20 it all worked well...

It seems like everything with smartphones is getting more complicated...

I tried to use Google assistant to resume the list, but it's only possible to start a new play back so the progress of the list is lost.

Not cool.

Suggested posts