Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Crashing When Screen Turns Off (All Devices)

Crashing When Screen Turns Off (All Devices)

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue:

Across all devices (Android, PC, and Macbook), once the screen goes off, the current song will play out, then Spotify stops.  I've searched the archives here and followed recommendations including: logged out from all devices and disconnected all apps, uninstalled everywhere and did a clean reinstall on my Android, turned off the Music FaceWidget, removed Spotify from sleeping apps, did all the battery stuff and rebooted, to no avail. 

I then logged in on my Android with someone else's account and the problem didn't exist anymore; music played continuously even with the screen off.  I logged back into my account, checked all my in-app settings, and they're also set correctly.  But the problem persists when logged in to my account. 

What's the next step to fix this so I can listen at the gym without stopping every 4 minutes to restart Spotify?

6 Replies

I am having the same issue on my Moto G Power (2021), and my phone let's Pandora play in the background with headphones plugged in, but Spotify won't.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

@msteph25 - this does seem like an issue that's related to your account. 

We suggest that you create a new account here. If everything works as it should you can head over to this article that provides you information on how to transfer your content from one account to another.

@RogueViking1 - First we recommend that you start with performing a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify. It's also important to make sure that there are no other apps running in the background.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

So just to be totally clear:

Spotify has a known bug that's corrupting users' profiles and robbing them of basic app functionality.

Instead of deploying a software team to find and squash the bug, Spotify's answer is to dump it on users' laps and force them to create new accounts?

...Which I did, and my new account played with the screen off for exactly one day, and is now stopping when the screen goes off, just like my primary account, rendering the app completely useless for any of my purposes.

From the outside, this parallels the early days of Stuxnet, wherein engineers are aware of strange behaviour but electing to ignore it.  What's the worst that can happen?

Until this bug blows up and starts stealing or deleting data.

And that's the generous explanation. 

The cynical explanation is this may be happening by design in order to get people to open more Spotify accounts to artificially simulate platform growth (see also: fraud).

I'm not making a 3rd Spotify account.  I'll go to Apple or Amazon music services.

Hi @msteph25,

Thank you for your reply and running those tests.

In this case, since the issue isn't isolated to your main account, there are other things we can try here. 

Could you connect your devices to a different internet/mobile network and test how the app behaves?

Also, does the same happen when you've activated the Offline Mode from the app's settings? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Ive had this exact same issue. Every couple of updates, spotify gets an update that crashes it

Hi @TurboSamurai,

Thank you for posting on the Community!

Can you let us know if you've followed the suggestions shared by @Jeremy and I on this thread? If not, please give a try to all of them.

Also, let us know if this issue is located only on one device or if it is also happening on multiple ones.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts