Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Does spotify still stream downloaded songs when not in offline mode?

Does spotify still stream downloaded songs when not in offline mode?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

S8+

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

I download all of my music because I want to save data whenever possible. I downloaded all in the highest quality since I have a ton of space on my phone. I also turn my streaming quality way down since I want to save data. I've noticed that the quality is lower when I am online than when I am offline. Does this mean that even though I downloaded my music, Spotify decides to stream my music instead of using the local file? Is there a way to force spotify to only stream files I don't have? A lot of posts I've found on forums here talk about offline mode, but I mean specifically when using online mode does Spotify favor streaming music even when it is already downloaded?

5 Replies

Sorry that I can't help, but I've noticed this too!

I don't understand why I have to turn on "Offline mode" and disable ALL online functionality, just to prevent Spotify from eating all my limited data streaming worse versions of songs that are already 100% downloaded and stored on my phone.

I don't want gifs or "Behind the Lyrics" or anything else, especially while I am driving.'

I've gathered that the only thing we can do is put Spotify on complete network lockdown (either in the app or via a third party app). But I would love to be wrong!

Hey folks - help's here!

I've found a similar thread in the Community where users confirm that listening to songs which are downloaded for offline listening should not consume any data.

While we recommend that you have offline mode switched on in the app to guarantee this, we'll do our best to troubleshoot your issue.

First off, do you mind going here and making sure that the device in question appears under the list of offline devices? Even if it does, try removing all devices and then downloading your songs again on that device.

If you're still experiencing this issue after doing the above, do you mind cross-checking with another device to see if the same issue occurs there too?

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

you’re an admin for this platform and this is your best answer????? 

let me teach you something. Management is there to resolve problems, politicians are there to ignore the questions and answer with new ones. SPOTIFY YOU ARENT A POLITICAL COMPANY, LISTEN AND ANSWER TO YOUR **bleep**ING COMMUNITY. THERES A PROBLEM, FIX IT, DAMNIT. 

Same thing happening to me. I downloaded 3gb of songs but it keeps streaming for me when I'm on online mode. Please help me fix this

I guess this issue will never be fixed cause, waste of my money really.

Suggested posts