Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Google Assistant: Bug when Spotify App is in background

Google Assistant: Bug when Spotify App is in background

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Google Pixel 3, LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7

Operating System

Android 8, Android 9 and Android 10

My Question or Issue

There's a bug using Spotify via Google Assistant on Android smartphones.

If you have restarted your Android phone or have forced all spotify proccess to stop and then use Google Assistant on the phone to play music from spotify - it works absolutely perfect.

But some hours later (and you did not reboot the phone or completely forced all spotify processes to stop) asking the Google Assistant on an Android phone to play music from spotify - it doesn't work. The app opens, but the music is not starting automatically. If you were asking for a specific playlist it opens spotify and you see the search field in which the playlist you were asking for is written, but the playlist is not chosen and is not played automatically.

The bug is present on all Android versions I am able to test it with (Android 8,9 an 10).

And the bug has clearly something to do with Spotify processes/app when it's in the background. If you have rebooted the phone or killed the app via Settings -> Apps -> Chose Spotify -> Force close then it workes perfect again.

The bug can be forced to occur when you have recently opened and used spotify and then closed spotify normally. After closing spotify go to the "Recent Apps" and close spotify from there via swiping up.

After that asking the Google Assistant to play Spotify shows the exact same behaviour like after having spotify in the background some time.

It's a really annonying bug which is present on my Pixel 3, a friends Galaxy S7 and my old LG G6. It's a huge problem while using Spotify in the car with Google Assistant on the phone. Because if you used spotify with the cars bluetooth, then leave the car for some hours and then get back in the car again, choosing a playlist or a song via Google Assistant doesn't work anymore until you  rebooted the phone or killed all spotify background process.

It must be a spotify Android app problem, because Google Assistant works fine with Google Play Music or Deezer when the apps are in the background.

I have also found a lot threads within the community which contained this problem or a problem which is related to that bug, which ended without an answer or were marked as solved, because the feature worked again after a phone reboot. It's correct that it works after a reboot, but it occurse again some hourse later like when using it via Bluetooth in the car.

I have tried to delete and install the newest version of the app several times, relinked it within the Google Home app. I also granted permissions for storage, microphone and so on. The bug still is present on alle phones with various spotify accounts.

0 Replies

Suggested posts