Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Green arrow question

Green arrow question

What exactly is the green arrow at the song meaning . I first thought this are offline synced songs. But i also have songs wich have no arrow and are playing if i am offline. Please see at the screenshot:2012-11-29 13.25.17.png

Peter

Using Spotify on Thinkpad Yoga, Iphone 6Plus, Ipad Mini 2, Playstation 3 & 4
16 Replies

It should show you indeed that those songs are synced for offline use.

Maybe you synced only a few playlists, including songs that are also in your "All" - playlist.

Or you synced the "All" - playlist but you reached the limit of 3.333 songs that can be synced, leaving some songs out.

but i can play them all if i swich of wifi and g3 ..

Peter

Then it's a bug of some kind. The green arrow, for me, always means that the song is available offline. It even appears on offline tracks on other playlists that I haven't fully downloaded.

Have you made that playlist offline? It may be playing the non-offlined tracks from the cache if you've played the tracks before.

I synced all my playlists to my android

Peter

I have a similar issue. I have a total of 1295 tracks downloaded for offline use, so I don't have the 3333 song issue. Some of the songs are on multiple playlists. However, even some songs that are on only one playlist are missing the green arrows. The songs will "play" in offline mode, but there won't be any sound and the album art doesn't get displayed. 

I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I have also turned off my phone and turned it back on and I still have the same problem. 

The only thing I haven't tried is deleting the cache and saved data. If I do that, won't I lose everything that I've saved, thus, making the app useless? If you end up suggesting that that is exactly what I should do, should I do that and then uninstall the app and reinstall it?

One last thing... I do have the Android "Clean Master" app that kills apps in the background when the screen is in sleep mode, but the song will "play" with no sound even when the screen is on. I'm throwing darts at the problem at this point.

Thx.

Clean master also cleans cache files and I'd be pretty wary of letting it loose on spotify.

The download symbols seem pretty erratic on both my android devices with synched local files. The playlists have the symbol and they're listed in the downloaded section but the tracks within each playlist don't all have the download symbol against them. They do however play perfectly in offline node so I just assume this is a spotify quirk.

I supect your cache may be corrupted or maybe the playlists didn't synch completely - large list can take a long time to finish. Before you try a clean reinstall and starting over, try just undownloading one of the playlists you're having trouble with then resynching it to see if that makes any difference.

I'll be really interested to hear how you get on 🙂

jwylot:

I was thinking about undownloading, then downloading again. You're suggestion sealed the deal. 

When I downloaded the playlists, I downloaded several at the same time. I was trying to do a large batch before going on a long holiday camping trip. 

I will let you know how it goes. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best wishes,

ctowndawgs

I undownloaded one of my playlists and uploaded it again. Unfortunately, I still had several tracks that didn't have a green arrow and didn't have any sound when I tried playing them in Offline Mode.

I guess you'll have to bite the bullet and do a clean reinstallation following the instructions in this guide. Once its done, I suggest you just synch one of the playlists you've been having trouble with to start just to be sure the problem is fixed.

I wanted to let you know that my Clean Master app was the issue. Fortunately, I saw another post where someone had a work around for what Clean Master can do to a Spotify playlist. They advised putting Spotify on the "Ignore" list for when you clean apps and your cache. 

Thank you for your suggestions. If nothing else, my Spotify app now uploads playlists faster than ever before.

Best wishes,

CTownDawgs

I've saved a bunch of songs that all display the green arrow but when I go to off line mode a bunch of my songs lose it but still play in off line. Mode. What's up with that

I solved this same problem by turning off, temporarly, my 'little snitch' application which is a blocking app. Do you have a similar blocking app. 

I think that the problem started whenI switched the off line button from 'green' to 'black' to see what it did. I then switched it back and I think some of the tracks had been changed to being unavaiable offline and the message to go available again was unable to get through due to my blocking app.

That's all I got. Good luck.

No i do not have such an app 😞

Peter

Hope there is soon a solution 😞

Peter

I have these green arrows on some of my songs but not all please explain to me I love my Spotify playlist but I am a 60 year old with no tech knowledge at all please if someone can explain in plain simple English what these arrows means good thing ,bad thing. Thank You

The green arrows mean that the songs have been downloaded to your device (my guess is that you're using a smartphone). That means you can listen to any song offline, without using any of your data. Plus, you can listen when you don't have a good 4G signal or when you are on an airplane.

To take advantage of offline mode, go to "Settings" (the symbol that looks like a cog with sprockets), tap the symbol and then go to "Offline Mode," toggle the "switch" to the other side and then you are in offline mode. Once you are in Offline Mode, you'll only be able to listen to songs that have been downloaded to your device (these are the ones with the green arrow). To listen to your full library again, you'll need to go back to "Settings," go to "Offline Mode" and toggle the switch back to the other side.

I hope this helps!

Suggested posts