Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How do I stop automatically downloading all saved songs onto phone

Solved!

How do I stop automatically downloading all saved songs onto phone

I dont have much memory on my phone to save all the songs I have on my desktop library. I want to be able to keep all the songs in the library on my desktop and limit which albums I download onto my phone, but whenever I open the app on my phone it automitcally starts downloading songs even though I dont select "Avaliable Offline" for the album. How can i stop the automatic downloading and just hand-pick which albums will be downloaded onto my phone for offline play? Any help is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

If it is actually downloading music then it will be marked as available offline. You can check if this is the case by going to Your Music/Playlists or Songs then drag down to expose the filter and sorting options. Select the sort options (three horizontal bars to the right) then select "downloaded".

I suspect what is actually happening is the normal cacheing process. When you stream music, spotify stores each song in the cache to provide buffering in case the connection drops and also to save bandwidth if you choose to replay something you recently listened to. The cache size is managed automatically and as you continue listening, older stuff is discarded so there shouldn't be any problem.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey there!

If you go into Your Library and then to Songs do you have Songs set Available for Offline? If you do, turn that off and then only the albums you choose will be available. Let me know if this works and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Cheers,

Matt

Hey! I got a similar problem, the app keeps auto downloading every song I play on radio and playlists, so the more I listen, the more storage is used. The download switches on my library/songs and playlists are turned off and I can't get to fix the problem. It is pretty weird, if I'm playing a song on a playlist and turn off the wifi or data, it keeps playing it and also shows the rest of the songs I've played before, which are all available offline. Do you know a way to stop that? Thanks!
Marked as solution

If it is actually downloading music then it will be marked as available offline. You can check if this is the case by going to Your Music/Playlists or Songs then drag down to expose the filter and sorting options. Select the sort options (three horizontal bars to the right) then select "downloaded".

I suspect what is actually happening is the normal cacheing process. When you stream music, spotify stores each song in the cache to provide buffering in case the connection drops and also to save bandwidth if you choose to replay something you recently listened to. The cache size is managed automatically and as you continue listening, older stuff is discarded so there shouldn't be any problem.

Thank you! That's just what is going on! And I wanted to ask you something else if it's not much...
I can't find a way to download single songs straight from a list or my library, just the whole list under saved songs. Can you download single songs either way?

Single songs can't be downloaded. The easiest solution is to create a new playlist just for this and set it to download. Then just add single songs to this new playlist from the context menu (long touch the song or tap the three dots on the right) and they will be downloaded automatically.

Hello,

is there any chance to switch off downloading so that already downloaded songs are not deleted? Every time I try to switch off this "Download" option all my songs are being deleted.

No. If you turn off "download" in a playlist,album,songs etc. all the tracks will be "undownloaded" so using playlists is more versatile than downloaing all songs.

I dont have storage capacity and dont want to download for offline viewing...HELP!!!

Sounds like the problem is that it caches without limit, despite not being "downloaded". I guess I will have to vote for this feature in the mean time.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Mobile-Setting-for-max-cache-size-allowance/idi-p/347456...

Suggested posts